Partially building your planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1950s 3 bed semi. I would like to extend to the rear (kitchen/diner) and eventually - once money allows - to the side (study/utility/garage and a master bedroom above).

plans.png

We might end up selling the house before we have the funds available to build the side extension, but would like to sell with the full planning in place.

So, is there any reason why we shouldn't/couldn't get planning for everything (as per picture above) but only build the Kitchen/Diner?
  • Do the planning department allow you to do this - any issues getting building control to sign off what has been built?
  • Are there any issues with mortgages/selling (is it considered an incomplete build?)
Obviously doing this would save us additional planning and architects fees.

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you got planning permission for the whole lot, and just built the kitchen/diner?

No problem.

Your planning permission will have a standard condition that the works must commence within three years, but there is no time limit
for completion. You could take thirty years to build it, as and when funds became available. It would just be 'work in progress'.

Thank you, that's very good to know.

I assume at the end of building the kitchen/diner, we'd get building control out to sign off what had been built, and that would be that? Mortgage lenders wouldn't view it as an incomplete build as the building work had been completed to Building Controls satisfaction?

Sponsored Links
You may want to only apply for building regulations for what you will definitely build. Not only for the reduced cost of the application, but also so that a completion certificate can be issued - they wont issue one if you apply for the additional work and don't finish it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back