Parts For SpaceStar

Thank you guys!

Another year's ticket is good, even if we decide to get shot.

But what I'm thinking about is, do we want to invest in these repairs or trade in for a newer car?

I'm going to get a quote from the MoT garage for anti-corrosion treatment on the sills.

Potentially, allowing 100 quid for anti-corrosion treatment instead of welding, we could face a bill of £945 for brake work, a service, the sills, and wipers, excluding the work to fix the misfire.

Or, we could spend nowt and get shot ASAP, that £945 going towards the replacement vehicle.

I know cars are money pits and you rarely get any return on them, but I hate these kinds of decisions!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The misfire concerns me a little......I would have thought that the engine management light would be on (MOT fail) or something would have been flagged up on the emissions. Maybe the car is too old.
There's nothing worse than throwing parts at the car, and the fault simply remains! An unwritten rule is to replace all of the coil packs and plugs at the same time.
Personally I'd be looking round for a Japanese replacement, Honda or Toyota but that's your business.
John :)

The misfire concerns me a little......I would have thought that the engine management light would be on (MOT fail) or something would have been flagged up on the emissions. Maybe the car is too old.
There's nothing worse than throwing parts at the car, and the fault simply remains! An unwritten rule is to replace all of the coil packs and plugs at the same time.
Personally I'd be looking round for a Japanese replacement, Honda or Toyota but that's your business.
John :)
Agree, misfire couldn't be that noticeable or bad, or the mot would have highlighted the issue, via emissions, or eml light on dash

Thank you again.

The check engine light does come on, stays on for extended periods, then goes off, again for extended periods.

At the moment, and at the time of the MoT, the CE light was off.

I guess the exhaust emissions were fine, it passed and there was no comment about them.
I used to get a little emissions slip with the readings, but they seem to have stopped doing that now.

Regarding the misfire, the tacho packed up at the same time. Before it did, it was doing very odd things like reading over the rev limiter level at idle.

I think you're right. We need to get shot.

Sponsored Links
Found this on another forum:

"a bad coil pack would not cause the tach jumping around, but a bad dis could. you could also have a wiring issue, and you could also have a crank position sensor issue. or multiple issues....."

Thank you again.

The check engine light does come on, stays on for extended periods, then goes off, again for extended periods.

At the moment, and at the time of the MoT, the CE light was off.

I guess the exhaust emissions were fine, it passed and there was no comment about them.
I used to get a little emissions slip with the readings, but they seem to have stopped doing that now.

Regarding the misfire, the tacho packed up at the same time. Before it did, it was doing very odd things like reading over the rev limiter level at idle.

I think you're right. We need to get shot.
You might find it worthwhile to invest in a basic code reader. I have a Foxwell 301 which relatively basic model though it does allow a code to be reset in most cases. So for instance when your engine light illuminates then plugging in the code reader will yield one or more fault codes providing more detailed information. I don't think that the F301 is made any longer but it was only about £45 three or four years ago. There are many alternatives out there, though, covering a whole range of prices.

Just idly flicking through Autotrader and came across this.

It's not Japanese, but I'm hoping cheap, readily available bits for it are in its favour. How is the little engine though?
Are they reliable?

The price is well under average. I checked MoT history and it needs rear pads and the front under tray is damaged and the front splitter missing. Maybe the car ran over some shoite in the road?

But wondering what it would cost to repair? And is there anything else damaged? Sump, etc....

Last night he decided he wanted to keep it for another year.

Fast forward to tonight, I get a call.

"Dad. I've broken down. The battery has power because the headlights work. But when I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens...I hate this f.ing dogs..t c...t car...."

Never have I heard so many swearwords from him in one sentence...

Looks like we're looking for another car.

It was, as I suspected, the starter motor. The guy rotated it a bit, and it worked. He restarted the car several times and it was good. Obviously, it could fail again.

It started this morning and off he went to work.

He rang me a bit later.

"Dad, the rear window has just exploded!"

Must have been a stone kicked up.

He's had some bad luck.

Sponsored Links
Back