Party wall act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending and my neighbours house is more than 6 meters from the extension. But they have a garage prefab type within 3 meters to the proposed extension. Do i need a party wall agreement in this case?
"Section 6, if any excavation within 3m of the party wall and any other building or structure on the adjoining owners land wil be deeper than the foundations of that wall"

Is this a structure, it has no foundations and is the type of garage you buy from a large DIY store that is blocks sat on blocks rather than a purpose built garage.

Sponsored Links
Not aware party wall has anything to do with the council. Certainly not part of planning.

I don't think that this type of structure is actually a "structure" in context of the PWA.

The intent of the Act is to protect buildings (with proper foundations) from excavations close to them. This prefab, presumably on a basic concrete slab - which is not technically a raft or any sort of foundation, would not be the type of "structure" which the PWA was designed to protect

There may be case law to the contrary, but I'd say just proceed without serving notice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back