Patch plasterboard over old box socket location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I patch some plasterboard over these old boxes?

They were half way up the wall so I have had the socket moved down by an electrician.

Just wanted to check if it’s ok to cover them over with plasterboard (screw into box with batten) and skim over?

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
You/your electrician need to remake those joints- terminal block wrapped in pvc tape is not an acceptable maintenance - free connection. Wago blocks will be easiest.
Ideally they'd then be enclosed in a suitable enclosure but in the real world a bit of board cut the right size and fixed with the backbox screws will work (don't understand the batten reference).
Or just put a blank 2g faceplate on right now and you're done.

They have done a good job, heat shrank the waggo's. Some will argue that it needs a cover plate so that the wire location is known. Me I would just fit in a bit of plaster board , it will not need a batten as it will push up against the back box, and as it will be beneath the level of the original plasterboard the filler will hold it in, the plaster board is just stops the filler going through.

Some will argue that it needs a cover plate so that the wire location is known
Someone may drill into the Live cable unaware that they are buried in the plaster.

Just wanted to check if it’s ok to cover them over with plasterboard (screw into box with batten) and skim over?
No it is NOT OK to conceal the fact that there is a junction box buried behind the plaster

Sponsored Links
Has it got RCD protection? It's in a "safe zone" but like others the tape isn't really good enough.

I wasn’t keen on the way the sockets used to be floating half way up the wall. That’s why i asked for them to be moved down and removed. Must have been a misunderstanding between the electrician and myself.

A blanking plate wouldn’t really look better than the old socket being there ( there are 4 of these boxes spaced out around a small room).

What would involve to get the socket removed completely so the wall could be filled? (room is on ground floor of house).

Last edited:
Someone may drill into the Live cable unaware that they are buried in the plaster.

No it is NOT OK to conceal the fact that there is a junction box buried behind the plaster
Isn’t there always a risk of drilling into a power cable ?

What would involve to get the socket removed completely so the wall could be filled?
Looking at it one way would be - Two cables would need to be run from the new position(s) to each of the other sockets in the Ring (that's if it is a ring). Do they run up through to the above ceiling? Looks like one cable just goes through the box which may have been easy to re-run? Hard to say without more investigation.

It is in a safe zone (thanks to the sockets below) so hiding it is fine as long as maintenance free connectors have been used.
Very good point from @chivers67 - your new cabling MUST be RCD protected (effectively RCD/RCBO at the consumer unit).

Love the fact that the "experts" cannot tell tape from heatshrink and waggo's...its in the safe zone as the cables are routed from the top and bottom. The only thing missing is a cable clamp to make it maintenance free..

err that's what maintenance free spec and a safe zone is for....

Looks more like tape than Heatshrink - if it's heatshrink why not use more to go over the single insulation parts?

Looking at it one way would be - Two cables would need to be run from the new position(s) to each of the other sockets in the Ring (that's if it is a ring). Do they run up through to the above ceiling? Looks like one cable just goes through the box which may have been easy to re-run? Hard to say without more investigation.

Yeah they have run the cable from the existing box on that same level and yes it is on a rcd.

The cables run up through the ceiling to bedroom above, then I assume they carry on up into the loft.

Personally I would fill it.

You can however get a plastic "blanking plate" that is only 2mm thick.

I used to buy them from Toolstation (I think that they were made by CED). CEF however sell a very similar one.

You could easily feather out the 2mm with filler.

In the past, when the electrician has retrospectively run continuous cables, I have cut a section of porcelain tiles to sit behind any filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back