Plasterboard socket box when to install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm new to plasterboard socket boxes... I'm currently gutting my home to improve insulation throughout, and have a situation now where I'm about to start putting up plasterboard over some internal stud walls, in lieu of eventually having it skimmed with plaster afterwards for a nice finish.

The question is this, Is it better to install the plasterboard socket boxes before the plasterer does his skim or after... do you get a better "flush fit" (I aim to use flush socket/switch plates) if I put them in beforehand, so the plastic edge of the box is covered with the plaster skim?

Any drawbacks to this approach? The obvious one I can think of is that any stress on the plastic recessed backbox during the wiring process might crack the skim over the edge of the box, so I'm guessing the boxes should be put in afterwards, but won't the plasterboard box edge then be visible behind the socket facia plate?

Any suggestions guys?

Sponsored Links
I always try to put them in first to keep them flush (ask the plasterer to be nice to them) . And as long as you take care at second fix it will give a better finish.

Completely disagree, skimmed over dry lining boxes are a complete PITA when it comes to any kind of maintenance. Fine if you never plan to touch them again, but if you overtighten any screws, remove accessories in the future or, god forbid, need to get behind the box, you can kiss goodbye to the plaster.

Granted it will give the best finish with flush mount accessories as you won't be able to see the plastic lip of the box, but I think I would still prefer that to the problems listed above.

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean if you move them to much the plaster will crack, but plasterers usually skim quite thin at the boxes (almost flush to front) and even if you have to take the box out, as long as you are careful not to do to much damage you will have a nice flush recess for the box to go back into.

cut in a noggin and fit a metal box. if the plasterer skims over the dry lining box it will make a right mess if it needs to be removed in the future and if you fit it after you get a tiny stand off gap around the socket :S

IME some accessories don't fit nicely on or over the flange on the front of a box as others, ending up half on and half over the flange. That problem disappears if the wall is skimmed after the box is fitted.

Don't forget that there is no adjustment with plasterboard boxes.
If you fit and plaster and dont cut the hole EXACTLY then the socket etc will be crook.

If you fit the box after there will be some wiggle room.

+1 for installing noggins and a metal box.

Dry liners are all very well an good for retrofit etc, but I try to avoid them nowadays.

Check the brand of accesories your using, sometimes the lip of the box goes in the recess of the back allowing it to fit flush.

If not use the metal box.

I'm currently gutting my home to improve insulation throughout, and have a situation now where I'm about to start putting up plasterboard over some internal stud walls,
Why do internal stud walls need improved insulation?

What are you doing to the external walls?

in lieu of eventually having it skimmed with plaster afterwards for a nice finish.

The question is this, Is it better to install the plasterboard socket boxes before the plasterer does his skim or after...
I'm confused - you said the plasterboard was in lieu of having the walls plastered....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back