Patio and PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another plea for PD advice here please... sorry...

we have built a new patio, 35cm above old patio (in error). Old patio was level with side passage of house, which is still there. Council have been round and measured our new patio as being "between 550mm and 350mm above original ground level". We live on a slope, and have extensively landscaped, but they have measured drop off at end of patio to the lawn (which is absolutely not original ground level.... but I digress)..... I said to chap on phone today, if you have measured it as being 350mm over, and limit is 300mm, then technically I presume you could eventually force us to drop it by 5cm but that ins't going to make our neighbours any happier, it isn't enough - but we would then be in PD rights?

he said

nope, we aren't taking highest adjacent point, you have to drop it by 25cm, so we are going on the 55cm height difference between lawn at end of patio, not the measurement at the side passage (the patio is immediately next to side passage level as it emerges from side of house to the rear area).

I said - I know this is a grey area after research online but there isn't any other guidance for measuring a raised platform, and all the cases I have found take highest adjacent ground - so 350mm in this case, not 550mm.

he said
all cases are considered on their merits, not taking into account other cases.

He reckons we should dig down, and put in more steps than there were before (surely contrary to Part M of regs, whilst I think about it).

But anyway - I find this dismissal of highest adjacent land totally boggling, surely case law is entirely relevant? precedent being set, equal treatment under the rules etc?? Can anyone send any light, help me understand his viewpoint?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Its 300mm from the highest natural ground level. He is wrong. However proving what the original ground level can be difficult. Its been discussed heaps of times on the forum, do a search maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back