Patio Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

1st time post here!.

Really hoping someone can help. Just completed 35 sq m of sandstone patio. Have to say was really pleased with the job . Then stupidily I decided to use a paving sealer. Thompson one coat satin finish. It looked great when applied, however once it rained the water just sits on the slabs, I suppose its doing its job, but takes seriuosly hours to dry. Once dry ( eventually) it leaves water marks. Basically I would like to remove the sealer but cannot find a product that would do this.............can anyone advise? I have tried hot soapy water and using a stiff bursh then jet washing, but hasnt helped at all.

Hope someone can help

Simon

Sponsored Links
You could take a look at 2 products made by LITHOFIN, both probably available from your local tile store

LITHOFIN ABRA CLEAN, seems to shift anything from anywhere for me

and

LITHOFIN WAX OFF

No matter which one you go for, it will be a very long and painstaking job but good luck.

hope this helps

Thanks for help, will have a look, although after much scrubbing and powerwashing seems to look better. Maybe in couple of months after our British summer of wind and rain it may weather ok

Simon, I was interested in this as we have just had a new sandstone patio and we don't know if we should seal it or not. Would prefer not to, but it will presumably absorb spilled wine/bird droppings pretty easily. Did you have any problems with tramlining - ie dark edges on the slab edges as it was drying out before the sealing was done? If so, did they eventually go?If you get the old seal off, we have been recommend to use something called LTP mattstone. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Hi Winnie

Personally I prefered the look when natural, although I know without sealing sandstone can easily stain.

Yes did have a few stone that would tram line, although wasnt really a problem as would dry very quickly. After much cleaning and jet washing most of the sealer has gone, what is left I sure will weather away. Possibly the sealer I used wasnt the best, Thompson Patio seal. I think the biggest bug bear was the fact that when it rained the water would sit on the slabs for hours before drying .

Definately test just a small area first and leave for a couple of days to see what you think.

Thx

ltp mattstone is a good product as i doesnt really change the finish. theres an equivalent product from lithofin too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back