Pattress box screw thread sizes

Why would a new plastic plasterboard box have 4BA holes?
I've already admitted that I mis-read the nature of the problem. However, as most of us have now said, there is something not quite right about the OP's original description.

I suppose it's just possible that the OP did have (which is what he wrote) a 'new socket', but ignored the new screws which came with it and, instead, tried to use the 4BA screws from the old socket/box. Maybe he didn't even notice the new screws attached to the back of a new faceplate.

Alternatively, as you have suggested, he may not have really meant "new socket".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Buying a new socket, together with the screws that come with it seem eminently sensible to me, rather than reusing the donkey's years old one, from the rusty back box.
When I suggested that watson criticised me.

It will be interesting to see if he criticises you in the same way. Or if he doesn't because his criticism of me was irrational, motivated by childishness and incompetence.

I've already admitted that I mis-read the nature of the problem. However, as most of us have now said, there is something not quite right about the OP's original description.
We have all misread it, because it is not described in a way which makes sense - whichever parts one takes to be accurate one soon hits another part which conflicts. There are different ways to misread it, but I cannot see a correct way in what he has written.

I suppose it's just possible that the OP did have (which is what he wrote) a 'new socket', but ignored the new screws which came with it and, instead, tried to use the 4BA screws from the old socket/box. Maybe he didn't even notice the new screws attached to the back of a new faceplate.
That is a possibility.

But then we have the dissonance of "moving the socket".

I've been a bit misleading. When I said "new" socket I meant it was unused, from my stock of stuff aquired over some years. So I suppose a better description is "New old stock", which from what you are saying means very old, as no one can remember when BA went out and metric came in.
It didn't have any screws with it - they'd probably either fallen out of their securing grooves or been raided for use elsewhere.
I'm not trying to re-use the old rusty screws, I was just looking through my pot of accumulated screws and observing that most were the wrong (ie BA) thread for the new box.
So the screws in the shop were old stock too, which doesn't surprise me.
In the end I've run a die over one of the old screws and made the thread fit.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Sponsored Links
So the screws in the shop were old stock too, which doesn't surprise me.
I don't think that's very credible. Although no-one has been able to give you an actual date, the screws became metric 'decades ago' - so any accessory screw bought in the last few decades would be M3.5, and would fit a modern plasterboard backbox.

Whatever, I'm pleased to hear that you have found a solution.

Kind Regards, John

If this thread was a meme:
working-on-car.jpg

I think he probably chose a less-than-ideal analogy.

Over the years, I have "moved" walls, windows etc. in my house. I've even "moved" a staircase. However, I have rarely, if ever, used the old materials for the 'moved' wall/window/whatever. Grammatically, it may not be correct, but "move" is commonly used to refer to something being 'replaced with new' in a changed location.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back