paving slabs drainage,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having a patio laid at the bottom of the garden nowhere near the house, the area is 6 x 5 metre squared, should i put some sort of drainage in. i am having a slight fall put on it.

Sponsored Links
Crystal ball is out for cleaning sorry.....

Seriously though its impossible to give any advice based on such little information.

What is surrounding the proposed patio? where do you plan to fall it too? what is this surface? Do the area currently drain ok at present?

bottom of garden, no border, surrounded by garden wall, fall back towards house which is 15 metres away. paving slabs, 600 x600, substrate mot class 1, then sharp sand and cement, close joints filled with kiln dried sand.
my inside leg measurement is........

Sponsored Links
I asked four questions and you only answered 2??

But still had plenty of room for a smart arse comment which is good.

If its lawn your falling it towards and its not currently a total swamp i would just fall it towards that.

30m sq is not a massive area but not trivial either.

Your other choice if the grass already drains poorly is a small soakaway somewhere.

So in short, if the area already drains ok it'll prob be fine to fall to the grass but if not then you will need to consider soakaway or other option

look goofygay, i mean freddiemercurystwin, dont investigate my other threads, i rarely get a reply from people who know what they are on about, and most people dont take the time to read the thread. but if i do get proper help from people, i always thank them, if you havent got anything useful to say, jog on.

as far as you neo, i thought you were talking about the surface i was laying so i answered 3 of your questions, and the crystal ball was your smart *rse comment, but i thank you for your info, i was just checking up on the pavior who is doing the job, there has been a difference of opinion, between a groundworker and a pavior. oh and the garden isnt swampy, seems to have quite good drainage actually, and because i have asked for a fall on the paving i can actually put in some kind of drainage if it doesnt work.

I was just in a contrary mood.

Generally speaking if it was a job of mine i consider drainage on anything over 25m/sq

If however you have a lawn to drain too that drains ok already you could happily drain up to 35m/sq to that. This said its all just guesstimates based on experience.

I have seen patios of 60msq drainaing onto grass fine but then small new build gardens where 15m flooded it.

If however your talking about just draining it into a flowerbed then 15m is about your limit

oi mercury...why would i be grateful to you tosser, you offered nothing except an unwarranted insult, ill put you on igore, go and annoy someone ese. i always thank people who help me, go and see your psychiatrist, if you cant help people, get off the site.

ye ive put that mercury geezer on ignore, so thanks neo for your help, i think it will be alright, and as i say, the way the guys i employ are doing it, i will be able to keep my eye on it, as the near part of the garden hasnt been developed yet, i may have grass, i may use decking, if the water creates a problem, i will put drainage in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back