pebbledash

ANY FORM OF EXTERNAL RENDER APPLICATION (TEXTURED OR SMOOTH) SHOULD ONLY BE TAKEN ON BY A SEASONED PRO'.

DIY'ERS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Sponsored Links
ANY FORM OF EXTERNAL RENDER APPLICATION (TEXTURED OR SMOOTH) SHOULD ONLY BE TAKEN ON BY A SEASONED PRO'.

So very true. It's ok to experiment in an area where it doesn't matter, and you can take it off again, but to undertake a project that might look easy to do, and you "think" you could do it,, is not a good idea.

Hi Roughcaster,
I dont think the lad has been given the right advise. We now after many trips to travis decided to tyrolean the wall as like you said the top coat needs to be wet as i tried to explain to him, but he said have some faith in me. blah blah blah. any way three days after starting and taking back the tyrolean i originally brought today i finally went brought it again and completed the wall in an hour and a half.

all of your advise has been very helpful thankyou very much, if you ever have any decorating disasters please email me id be happy to help. thanks again

Sponsored Links
I'm glad you're happy now, with the tyrolean finish Rusty. I wondered where the job was going to be honest. :LOL: Anyway, at least the plasterer learnt something from your job, and sometime in the future, "might" have another go at wet harling. Thanks for the offer of decorating advice/help if needed, i'll take note of that,,,, anyway, good luck to ya. ;)

hi, i have bought tonne bag of wet dash scratch coat is done so what is the mix ratio? 4 dash 1 lime i cement and water that's it right? thanks for you're help

hi all, firstly wet dash, rough cast, slop dash, aka, must be cured before use. before wetdash can be applied to a wall it is very important to have your mix properly prepared. if you use dash that is not cured the probability of the finished walls cracking are high, these crackes show in the shape of a birds feet, known in the trade as [crow feet cracks] you can notice these if you look at work where the dash was not cured, these cracks are multiple and do cause water to seep behind to your base coat and causes bolstering of your finished work a job that is supposed to do a lifetime , wont see a few seasons. this is a recipe handed down from my great grandfather to his, to mine, to me, never any crackes. lay out a large peace of polythene beside your mixer work out the area that you are dashing as not to have to much dash left over, no cement is required yet, what you need to do is mix a ratio of four stone two sand one lime mix this to a nice consistency not a slurry wet mix, empty content onto polythene and continue keeping mix the same until you have enough to cover area you will dash.remember no cement yet, cover the dash with polythene so no rain can get at it this would wash the lime from the sand and stone. after one week the dash will be cured and ready for mixing and applying to walls can begin, you will notice the cured dash will be very hard and will need a pic axe to break it up before you mix it filling your mixer at a ratio of three to one of cement to a consistency well mixed and broke up avoiding lumping the uniformity of the finished wall depends on the skill of the man at the mixer, white sand and cement when used in wet dash looks a far better job then the gray. when you key a scratch coat or base coat for wet dash use a heavy yard brush and not a pronged scratcher used in dry dashing as lines can be seen in cases of misses and it is the norm for wet dash to use this process . I hope this can be helpfull to anyone who gives it a try, ps use protective eye glases and gloves lime burns and can really hurt when it splashes to eyes.

The same can be said with anything. e.g changing oil, fixing car. I understand when doing big jobs, but a little job can be tried.

I have repaired some render on my front stairs and it turned out good. Also a little roughcast at the back of my house (about 2mx1/2m) and it turned out OK. I understand all the warning and I would never attempt to do a large wall as this could end up unsightly.

We all have to learn somewhere.

Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back