Pedestrian safety aid

Sponsored Links
It is reaching a crisis here with bikes, e-bikes, mobility scooters, and pedestrians all competing with wider and wider cars, many parked taking up pavement space so not 28" needed for mobility scooters which are then forced onto the roads, plus inconsiderate parking next to drop pavements, or even a lack of drop pavements again forcing mobility scooters onto the road, and people wanting to have charging points for their EV's which causes even more problems.

We have homes where the front door is inches from the road, and although I do think the 20 MPH speed limit in some places is daft, in other it is too fast due to how close to the road the doors are.

We have homes where the front door is inches from the road, and although I do think the 20 MPH speed limit in some places is daft, in other it is too fast due to how close to the road the doors are.

Years ago, one of our offices had it's front door opening very close to a busy road, it being a former terraced house row.

One of our staff - a portly gentleman - was almost mown down by a van that had mounted the pavement to pass a parked wagon.

Staffer sent an internal email, advising all of the need to be aware of such hazards when exiting the building at the front.

I did wonder whether the van driver sent a similar communication within his workplace, warning his colleagues of the hazards of fat men jumping out in front of them on that particular stretch of pavement................

men are entitled to walk on pavements

vans are not entitled to drive on them.

Sponsored Links
A bollard would have been a better option.
Sometimes compromises are the best option where sharing is the best compromise where all respect the others using the space with more thought and respect given to who have the natural first use off the space
bollards are great at defining whats expected but a bit unfriendly in a shared world

The "carry a brick across the crossing" idea sound good but in reality drivers would have to put their phone down and look up/forward for someone to actually be seen carrying a brick. :)

Trucks not driving on pavements would however be much better.

In the real world though, I'd rather have the insurance of a physical barrier than reliance of someone else's vigilance and adherence to good sense.

"The other driver hasn't seen you.
If they have, they either don't care, or are intent on killing you anyway".

Good, self-preservatory advice.

Sponsored Links
Back