peeling off the vinyl layer then painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to my new flat - a big thank you to all those who helped me with my decorating questions in my old house - it sold and I'm ready to start again (sigh)

There is a lot to do, but by far the most pressing is the living room wallpaper
-its old vinyl covered in what looks like soot marks and painted in places.

I'm pulling off the vinyl layer and wondering if the advice on makeover TV shows really works, can I just paint the layer of paper underneath?

I suspect not, but they say it so often and the vinyl layer is coming off and leaving a pretty smooth even layer underneath

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.
The chances are that whoever hung the vinyl in the first place, didn't soak it long enough, consequently if you emulsion over it, it will bubble up, these may go back though.

Risky...but...sometimes it's worth it.

Only 1 way to find out for sure.

think how much happier you will be if you clean it all off, patch up the cracks in the wall, and do it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both, JohnD, you are so right, it was just wishful thinking on my part I suppose, hoping someone would say, yes this is a great idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back