Peoples thoughts on the Ryobi One+ set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Dewalt cordless drill and a Bosch wired jigsaw but I'm getting drawn to this Ryobi One kit, one battery many tools. The prices look quite good too. What's people's thoughts on Ryobi, any experiences of the kits? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if you are planning on expanding your kit the you must go for more capacity trust me 2x1.3ah are entry level at best
yes they will work with all kit but to be honest the £130 kit is 25-40% off the nearest offer
you can get the £130 kit and a second tool for less than £200 so the set you show whilst good value is not the best choice

just remember the 1.3ah is the fuel tank so you have say 1 battery on charge and a small fuel tank to run the tools for say the next hour yes you may be fine if its a low drain tool but a circular saw is high draw and would flatten a 1.3ah battery in between 10 and 50 mins dependant on material and thickness along off course with quantity

Totally get what your saying. Just enticed by the deal, drill, impact driver, circ saw and 2 batteries for £199. Seams a real bargain!

I have a selection of ryobis that weren't bought as a kit but IMHO for domestic they are fine

I have a drill/screwdriver, jigsaw, right angle drill, -and reciprocating saw
But I also have a Bosch hammer drill/jigsaw, a circular saw and odds and sods that are mains

My go to would be the cordless drills for 99% and battery saws for quick cuts that won't need too much power but always mains saws for planned work with several cuts

Totally get what your saying. Just enticed by the deal, drill, impact driver, circ saw and 2 batteries for £199. Seams a real bargain!

if you are going to use it for the odd 20 mins here or there then fine
the odd 2 cuts on 12mm ply twice a day then great it will be fine
just imagine you car with a fuel tank a quarter the size
also remember batteries loose about 15-25% off there capacity each year so 2 years down the road your say 1/3 down on capacity??
you have been warned the choice is yours :D

Last edited:
The circular saw is not worth having in my opinion so don't go for a set just because its included.

It eats batteries and is really no use for any material over 12mm as its very under powered.

I have lots of the one plus stuff and really like it. Lasted well and its great value. When you need new batteries you just buy the latest offer package and then sell the naked tool bodies and charger.

It eats batteries and is really no use for any material over 12mm as its very under powered.

I've cut lots of CLS, and regularised timber, both rip and cross cut with mine and it's damn useful to have. The trick is to have some 4 or 5 ah batteries and suitable blade.

The circular saw is not worth having in my opinion so don't go for a set just because its included.

I'm on my third Makita 18 volt cordless (first one nicked, second one passed down to the apprentice, third one a brushless model) and that statement bears no resemblance to my reality. I've framed out whole rooms and floors in 3 x 2 CLS up to 9 x 2 C24 using an 18 volt 165mm circular saw and a 7in speed square - no chop saw or corded tools required. On the current project I've worn out 7 blades in 17 months cutting everything from 4mm plywood up to 10 x 3 siftwood on occasion (takes 2 or 3 passes to cross cut). As woody says it requires larger capacity batteries (at least 3Ah) and decent saw blades (DW 24t in my case). Surely the Ryobi can't be that much worse than a Makita DSS610?

ryobi saws fine
people simply dont understand how the battery size is more than the sum off its parts
for example a 4ah is far more than 3 times a 1.5ah more so on a high draw tool
with a charged battery it starts around 20% overvolt at around 21.5v and slowly drops to possibly 16 or 17v when flat
iff you are asking for say 350w from a battery at 18v thats around 20amps so a 1.5ah battery can last a maximum 4.5mins but thats without the 20-25% capacity loss every year or the fact they have to hold a bit back as you must not flatten li-ions plus any drag or loss from the electronics or mechanical components will be say 10% off a 1.5ah battery so drag it down to perhaps 1.35ah but the same drag on a 4ah battery will drop it to perhaps 3.85ah or 3.5%
also the 4ah will spend far more time above 18v so will work with greater speed and less drag
so basically a 1.5ah battery will run out off "heavy power" half way through where as a 4ah will still give "heavy power"for at least 80% off the time
if you dont believe me do not charge the batteries without power for heavy duty and use them for radios torches drills screwing what ever and they will still have plenty power left

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back