Periodic requirements ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people, a quick question on pirs, what is the requirements for them ? For example if a house has a wylex rewirable fuse board or just an mcb fuse board no rcd protection, earth and gas in 6mm and main incoming earth in 6mm or 10 mm with the 25 mm tails would this be acceptable for a SATISFACTORY inspection report as to one of the editions some time ago these things complied ? So if the readings for all circuits are ok would this set up be ok or does these all need updating ? Or have I got this wrong, aslong as all the values are ok and all fixtures are safely secure on the walls thats all this report ask for? So really I am asking to get a certificate does everything have to be to the current standard of regulations or not ? Or does it just depend on zs values and insulation and resistance values and just results from these findings ??
Thank u all in advance

Sponsored Links
A periodic inspection report is carried out to the current edition of BS7671.

Any non compliances should be noted on the certificate and coded as appropriate.

Personally if the certificate contains and code 1 or code 2 recommendations, then I give it an automatic unsatisfactory.

The installation does not always need to comply to the current edition of the regs to be classed as satisfactory.

There's lots more information here:

If the install is PME then then 6mm² main bonding will not have complied before or now so will be "needs improvement". The earthing conductor might need a calc. to check compliance.
Anything else that was ok previously will be a code 4 which is still a pass

Thank u for your replies! The house does have a tncs so the 6mm bonding will be a code 1 or 2? What would be your thoughts on the board just mcbs no rcd protection, for example if you were doing the report how would you code that? Also I forgot to mention to you the house only has one ring final circuit and one lighting circuit, would this come under a code too? Thank u r f for the read I think that would give a better understanding, and thank you again in advance

Sponsored Links
Anything that does not comply to BS7671:2008 but is considered safe and complied at the time when the existing installation was installed, is a code 4
Ie MCBs only with no RCD protection.

Also I forgot to mention to you the house only has one ring final circuit and one lighting circuit, would this come under a code too?

There is nothing in the regulations that specifies how many ring final or lighting circuits there should be. Is there a problem with the existing circuits? Does the CPD keep tripping/fuses blowing? If not then there is nothing to comment on.

Personally if the certificate contains and code 1 or code 2 recommendations, then I give it an automatic unsatisfactory.

Surely thats not just a personal thing Rob? Its a niceic thing (if you work under their banner)... that even a single code 2 results in an unsatisfactory verdict (that'll be most installations then :LOL: )

Anything that does not comply to BS7671:2008 but is considered safe and complied at the time when the existing installation was installed, is a code 4
Ie MCBs only with no RCD protection.

Under the new amendment the PIR is dead and is replaced by the EICR. It looks like we only have three categories of deviation:
Quite dangerous
Dangerous
and
Extremely dangerous

If the install is PME then then 6mm² main bonding will not have complied before or now

It may well have complied before. The 14th edition did not explicitly specify a different size bonding conductor for PME, listing a minimum of 6 sq. mm for 25 sq. mm supply conductors (or 7/.064 for 19/.052 supply conductors in its original 1966 form). The only other condition attached was that the supply undertaking may require a larger conductor, but 6 sq .mm bonding was widespread with PME in the 1970's, so presumably few did.

I no longer have a copy of 15th edition in which to check, but I believe there was no change in this respect. I think the 10 sq. mm requirement might have been introduced as a later amendment, sometime later in the 1980's.

Under the new amendment the PIR is dead and is replaced by the EICR. It looks like we only have three categories of deviation:
Quite dangerous
Dangerous
and
Extremely dangerous
Are you referring to deviations from current regulations? If so, such a system would surely be counterproductive. As I see it, there is an important need to distinguish between two things:
  • 1...Things which are always, and 'obvioulsy', going to be dangerous - such as exposed live conductors, loose connections, damaged cables, reversed connections, seriously undersized cables, absence of earthing/bonding etc. etc.
    2...An installation which is executed satisfactorily and safely, and very probably was compliant with earlier regulations, but does not meet the (increasingly demanding) requirements of current regs - e.g. RCD requrements etc.
Are you suggesting that (2) would be categorised as 'dangerous' - and, if so, is there an implied suggestion that every premises in the country should be 'brought up to current regs' each and every time new regulations appear?!

Kind Regards, John.

(or 7/.064 for 19/.052 supply conductors in its original 1966 form).

Is that a typo?

Do you mean 7/.044, which is around 6.4mm2?

No, the change to metric-sized cables also brought with it a reduction in the minimum size of bonding conductor required.

The original 14th edition from 1966 specifies a minimum size of 7/.044 (~6.4 sq. mm) for 19/.044 (~19.4 sq. mm) supply conductors (common for the average house at that time, remember), and 7/.064 (~14.5 sq. mm) for 19/.052 (~25 sq. mm) or 19/.064 (~38 sq. mm) circuit conductors.

The revised 1970 edition requires a minimum of just 2.5 sq. mm for 16 sq. mm supply, and 6 sq. mm for 25 or 35 sq. mm supply conductors (subject to any overriding requirements of the supply undertaking for PME).

The corresponding minimum earthing lead sizes in 1966 were also 7/.044 for 19/.044 supply and 7/.064 for 19/.052 or 19/.064 supply. For the 1970 version, they became 6 sq. mm for 16 sq. mm supply and 16 sq. mm for 25 or 35 sq. mm supplies.

There is nothing in the regulations that specifies how many ring final or lighting circuits there should be.

No, but the catch-all rule suggests that you should have more than one of each.

15th, 16th and 17th regs refer 314.

I have not found anything similar in the 14th.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back