Peripheral neuropathy

I've seen enough thanks.

Anything to contribute on Dave's diabetes symptoms ?

Sponsored Links
Amazing how NoseFAll steers this round to talking about himself and him going on holiday with Grindr Tours. Uphill ski-ing? . I'll put him back on "ignore".
Should have said I was categorised as prediabetic (pretty close) but my blood sugar has dropped so as far as my GP is concerned I'm even less near the official diabetic score now, despite having all the symptoms. I'm overweight and don't have a healthy diet, living on my own and enjoying eating but not cooking so I eat unhealthily. I suppose that should give me 2 clues , lose weight and have a healthy diet but it seems my nerves have been damaged so the symptoms will remain whatever I do. Vitamin B12 deficiency apparently gives the same symptoms. I'm thinking it's worth going private to get this sorted.

DaveHerns, good evening.

A good friend of mine has for about 18 months to two years been suffering from tingling sensations in arms and legs.

One day about two months ago he collapsed just before going on shift, his employer caleld 999 and the Consultant in the hospital diagnosed the condition below.

friends GP had read about the condition but has never treated it in 30 years of Practice?? friends nurses [multiple] in hospital had heard or read about the condition but never seen a case?

Upshot is that it is apparently a rare condition BUT? difficult to diagnose accurately, there being a very similar condition.

Suggest you have a look at the following???

Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. The first symptoms of this disorderinclude varying degrees of weakness or tingling sensations in the legs.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Dave, are you self diagnosing, and can I ask you how long you have felt like this?
(Considering GBS which, although rare, is bloody scary and can take a while to develop and diagnose.)
John :)

Vitamin B12 deficiency apparently gives the same symptoms. I'm thinking it's worth going private to get this sorted.
Do you have any other symptoms? Like tiredness, get out of breath, heavy legs (walking is hard work), headaches? I left my aneamia too long and was a step away from going into hospital. It's a gradual thing so kind of get used to feeling rubbish! You can suffer it if you have a more tv dinner or takeaway diet, even if you eat meat.
Easily checked with a blood test, no point in paying private on this bit anyway. And it's easy to solve too - a few months of iron/b-vit supplements to get your levels back.
Healthy eating - you can still enjoy your foods, but increase fruit and veg - snack on them if you don't like cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
That GBS sounds a bit scary! I've got tiredness (also suffer from sleep apnoea but it's under control with a face mask/pump) frequent urination, this tingling/numbness etc , all the usual diabetes symptoms and have been this way for years now. I've had blood tests inc fasting blood tests. If the critical blood sugar level to be classed as diabetic was 4.5 , I was 4.4 at one stage but now I'm 4.1 ( don't ask me how) . I suspect the damage to my nerves has been done and I'm looking at ways to block the sensation hence thinking of acupuncture or similar. I still don't understand why walking isn't painful, I do 2 or 3 miles a day with my dog with no real problem.

Blood sugar levels vary enormously, depending upon such things as sleep - which comes under the term 'fasting'. On awakening you need to be around 4.5, after brekky this will rise to 7 or 8 so an average of around 6 is about right.
Do you use a blood sugar monitor at all, and how long have you had these symptoms?

Blood tests normally done same time of day, early AM and the GP now simply says I'm not diabetic . So I say why have I got all the symptoms and that's when my 10 mins is up ! This has been going on 5 years or more when I was told " you're fat , overweight , you must be diabetic, go and book a blood test" by my unfavourite GP at the practice.

So I'd go back to the doctor and ask him why you seem to have nerve damage when you've not actually been diagnosed as diabetic... There can be quite a few causes, as well as not having a specific cause.
You could also have more than one thing going on, and something like the frequent trips to the toilet not actually be linked to your nerve damage and each thing may be treatable.

One thing I've learned since having trouble with docs 15 years ago which left me (avoidable with early detection) worse off is to shout loud. I didn't shout and got told my symptoms were related to something I didn't have, when what I had was more serious. Since then I shout (not literally, but I am very firm and won't get fobbed off anymore!). I'd go in and tell him you've had enough and get him to investigate, or change docs until you find one who will listen. Good luck Dave.

Presumably therefore you haven't suffered a diabetic hypo or hyper then.....sounds like the doc is right - being overweight doesn't naturally mean diabetes but of course it can cause it (type 2, anyway).
GBS usually takes a few months to develop before manifesting itself to such a degree that its hospital time, with blood tests to confirm.....but I'd like to talk to the doc about it.

If you have the symptom when you sit down, and you've over weight, then it could be the nerves are getting squashed or pinched in your legs by the way you sit. Try putting your legs up, and see if that relieves it. You know you have a poor diet, so a nutritionist isn't going to help till you decide to change your diet, but you'll only need one visit to set yourself on the right track when you decide to improve things. A good daily vitamin will help, but find a health food shop rather than Barrats, as most of their stuff is man made rather than natural.

If you're thinking of going private to get it sorted, then I'd suggest looking at a homeopathist rather than a doctor, but just like doctors, there are good and bad ones out there, so try and find a recommendation.

Frequent trips to the loo, can be just advancing years (the body doesn't produce as much of the hormone that deters us from going) or could be an enlarged prostate, but it's often more annoying rather than dangerous, so don't let it worry you if it is.

Being over weight could well give you sleep apnoea, but it could also be that you just need to use a nasal decongestant at night, as a lot of the stuff in our bedrooms can give you a blocked nose and stop you breathing properly; and do you have fresh air in the room at night, which is another thing that can cause breathing problems. I had a friend in denmark that locked the bedroom up tight at night to stop the mosquitos getting in, so got diagnosed with sleep apnoea. He fitted mosquito blinds at the windows, and cured the problem.

Amazing how NoseFAll steers this round to talking about himself and him going on holiday with Grindr Tours. Uphill ski-ing? . I'll put him back on "ignore".
Diddums. Soz for interrupting the pensioners Q&A. You need to give your buddy Hawk a round of applause too.(y)

Last edited:
I'm worse sitting with my legs up. I think I need to book an appt with my present GP to start off with and take it from there. I was thinking of changing GP's practices but the others get worse reviews than mine. Strange thing is when I had my health MOT a few months ago I was in quite good shape for a man of 63 and 21 stone .
Looks like Nosey has posted a response. Was it anything worth reading or his usual sh*te?

It could well be your heart. You're okay when you walk, then, but when resting, it slows down and you're legs tingle. But I think it's time to go back to the doctors, and push them for a resolution, rather than a basic visit, that they don't follow it up.

Be nice to Noseall, his time on pensioners Q&A is aproaching faster than he realises. His knees will go from the skiing, and his back and spine from the golf, but he'll have had fun getting as buggered up as we are, so I shan't knock him. The Japanes have a nice saying, in that life is what happens whilst you're waiting to die.

Sponsored Links
Back