Permitted development & lawful development certificates.

I finally got to speak to someone in planning and after some mumbling their end they said I was best off submitting a LDC application so that is what I have done.

Will post the outcome !

Thanks for feedback this far.

Sponsored Links
All the feedback told you it can be done under PD with no need for an LDC. You council are wrong. Nothings changed.

Yes, but if the council are adamant in their incorrect interpretation, then it's probably better to sort it out while it's only a bit of paper - rather than when they are telling you to pull the extension down !

Couldn't agree more but I can't do anything about it. And before anyone says it yes I know it's pointless, probably illegal and very frustrating but it's the way it is for now.

Sponsored Links
they said I was best off submitting a LDC application

Of course they will - they want your money, pure and simple - they don't care about what it looks like. And what will you do if they refuse it and say it's not permitted development?

If we all put our faith in council officials to interpret the law correctly, then either nothing would ever get built; or anything that has been built would be ordered to be pulled down.

Interesting subject and one I was going to ask too ie whether to apply for LDC for something which I need to apply for prior notification as part of an 8m single rear extension. This is is response I got back from the council this morning.

"If you want to apply for an extension that is more than 4m deep (maximum 8m) on a detached house you will need to at least submit an application under the new temporary prior notification system (which is free, and which takes up to 42 days). That is all you really need to do, and most people only do that.

It is not necessary to also apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (which costs £86 and which operates to a different time scale, taking up to 8 weeks), but we have had a few applications from people who wanted both. In that case you should do the Prior Notification first, then (if that is successful) apply for the Lawful Development Certificate. Some people like the reassurance that comes with having a formal certificate. It is also a good idea if you intend to sell your house because you will have a certificate to show the buyer's solicitor when he asks whether you have had any building work done and whether you can prove that it was lawful. "

My new replacement architect is against applying for it but my concerns are that there is a lot of history to the house and I don't want get caught out on a technicality. Still undecided.

Nothing back yet, it only went in in the new year. Soon as I get a answer I will post it up.

I finally got a reply ! They have issued a LDC based on my hip to gable plans with rear dormer and kitchen extension woohoo :)

Opinion was indeed correct here, and as I kept suggesting to my architect who also said yes it should be PD.

I will speak to him tomorrow and see what made them change their mind.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Let the building begin !

So the application went in at the beginning of the year, and it's come back in May ? How long are they supposed to turn applications around in ?

6 to 8 weeks for standard planning or enquiries I think. My application probably didnt get fully submitted until Feb and they only cashed my cheque last month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back