Pest control -mice?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think we may have mice?!

We have a stone house with suspended timber floors and solum with a crawl space of about 3 feet.

Have had scratching the past couple of nights under the living room floor. We have never had mice before (have lived here for 7 years) but I guess the cold snap could drive them in? No sources of food that I can think of?

What's the best method of getting rid?

Sponsored Links
Go to your local DIY store and they should have all you need. You can catch them with mouse traps or bait boxes.

The bait boxes are less mess as they eat the bait and then go to ground to find water as the bait kills them. With mouse traps, you will have to empty them every day or so.

Try and make sure there is no access for the mice to come in from. They only need a hole the size of a pencil to get through as all their bones can collapse in their body. If you have any air vent around your property, you can fit a fine mess over these.

Hope that helps.

Andy

31vGuAvYrqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the best trap out unless you have a ferret

Put some cheese in an open shoebox
Place the box in the area where the mice are
The mouse will then peek over the box, see the cheese and then dive in
Keep replacing the cheese over several days
Then one day, don't put cheese in the box, but add a razor blade to just below the top edge
The mouse will then peek over the edge, and then think "Where is that damn cheese" while looking from side to side

Sorted

Sponsored Links
Put some cheese in an open shoebox
Place the box in the area where the mice are
The mouse will then peek over the box, see the cheese and then dive in
Keep replacing the cheese over several days
Then one day, don't put cheese in the box, but add a razor blade to just below the top edge
The mouse will then peek over the edge, and then think "Where is that damn cheese" while looking from side to side

Sorted
Thats ridiculous! ------------------- mice don't like cheese. ;)

I've had mice, and put bait and traps down, it's my girlfriend that says we have mice, as I've never actually seen one yet, but there is evidence of them, as bait has been eaten. She says there is evidence of three different coloured mice/rats...so phoned the council, that provide a free service to remove them. They are due next week.

A question asked was 'Are they Rats or mice', I ask, what difference does it make? I don't wan't them here, get rid, why the differential?

Mice can get through a hole pencil sized? wow! You must have learnt that through the univeristy of anal?

31vGuAvYrqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the best trap out unless you have a ferret

Would a Ferret trap a mouse? I know someone that keeps Ferrets, would Ferrets kill mice issues?

I left a glass unwashed at the side of the sink one day, and awoke to find the glass awash with ants, and then found a spider in the bath, so introduced the spider to the ants, as I believed the spider would win, afterwards, I realised the web immobilises the prey, till it dies. So spider lost. RIP. Although, if I find a spider, I don't kill it, as it keeps flies down, in the summer.

my ferrets love hunting for mice, they turn the house upside down looking for them.

my ferrets love hunting for mice, they turn the house upside down looking for them.

Would a borrowed (not burrowed!) Ferret, be impartial to the poison that has been laid down already? And laid in the runs that the mice/rat runs, unseen? I'd hate to borrow a ferret and give it back dead. Or purchase a ferret, to do a suicide mission. My girlfriend hates ferrets as much as mice, and would prefer a cat. But the cat I used to have used to chase dogs, never caught a mouse in my memory. Maybe it was shortsighted?

I have a very large property that I am constantly fighting against vermin. I poison the place from top to bottom and have tried to block every concievable point of entry with PU foam and do my best to remove all food sources. It's true a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil!
and they do like cheese. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz9JxsnhH4

While mice do like cheese, I would argue that they would prefer peanut butter more. I always use some peter pan brand with baiting my traps, works every time... It is sad that your stuck in that uphill battle with your rat problem, my condolences.

hire any professional pest controller they will kill all the mice and rats in your house and the will do precautions for the future.

But the cat I used to have used to chase dogs, never caught a mouse in my memory. Maybe it was shortsighted?
Or maybe it had a death wish. Some cats are excellent mousers, some aren't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back