Peugeot 206 from 2002.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power steering fluid is leaking from somewhere near the rack. Its virtually impossible for me to see where as I don't have any pit or hoist.

Seller of the car asks me to take it to the mechanic who used to look after it but he is always very busy.

I was looking at steering fluid on Ebay and see that they are selling some for about £19 that is meant to be able to seal leaks ( apart from from rusted pipes ).

Is that really likely to be of any use?

Would be cheaper than the mechanic if I can ever get him to find time to see the car.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Probably the rack itself is leaking. Ive never heard of leak sealers for power steering and would never advise using them, as your never sure what else it could clog up in the system.

Tony think about it that type of stuff is akin to putting leaksealer in a heating system.

Remember Holts 'Piston Seal'?

Sponsored Links
I don't use leak sealer on CH systems.

But I have ordered a bottle of that one above as its no more than the plain fluid.

Perhaps it MIGHT actually work to seal the leak but regardless its still fluid which is needed.

Tony

I don't use leak sealer on CH systems.

But I have ordered a bottle of that one above as its no more than the plain fluid.

Perhaps it MIGHT actually work to seal the leak but regardless its still fluid which is needed.

Tony
So if it is plain fluid what physics are involved with sealing a leak?

It must either contain some form of coagulant to fill the space permitting the leak or it contains a chemical to 'emulsify' the rubber (or other material) used to form the seals' so they swell to seal the leak.

Plain power steering fluid it certainly isn't otherwise every other P.F. fluid would have the same self repairing characteristics.

Would be cheaper than the mechanic if I can ever get him to find time to see the car.
Ask the owners of those vehicles where this fluid has ruined their steering rack!

If the leak is not visible (look on the ground as well) you need a rack, which will probably cost more in time to fit, than the actual cost of the rack.
If leaking when you squeeze the boots, oil should come out?

In over 40 years messing about with various vehicles, I can't ever remember any of these "wonder cures" that were really any more than "get you home" fixes.
Some of them do worse damage to whatever system they are applied to, and certainly with a hydraulic system I wouldn't be putting anything at all but fluid of the proper spec. in there.
If you have a problem, particularly if it's to do with something that needs to be spot on like steering, then it needs a proper repair with the necessary replacement parts.

Sponsored Links
Back