Phone interference by electric ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My phone is getting interference (crackle noise).The BT engineer will come out for £80 call out fee if it my fault,if not they won't charges!!

I'm being to wonder if it the electric cables nearby causing the interference but having said that it is part time, eg can last up to approx 2 days then nothing for 2 to 3 weeks then start again ! If it was the electric causing interference then am I right saying it would be doing it all the time ?

Sponsored Links
depends on if the cable is on or not, but crackling on phone is usualy water in a connection point somewhere (not your fault)

did u know bt actually pump AIR down the main trunk cables to stop water getting in

Crackling on a phone line cannot be caused by nearby mains cables. What they do is induce a 50 hz. hum on the phone line.
What you should do before calling BT is to record the noise using a telephone answering machine. Dialing 1 will produce a dead line and any noise can then be recorded. I had the very same thing about 3 years ago. It turned out to be a flooded junction box down a manhole somewhere.
One more thing about cabling.. dont run a UTP computer network lead parallell to a mains cable as this can wreak havoc.

must be an echo but crackling on phone is usualy water in a connection point somewhere (not your fault)

Sponsored Links
I was a bt engineer in a past life and it sounds very much like a corroded connection somewhere or the cable swinging in the wind if it is fed overhead.If you can get a quiet line(by phoning someone you know and telling them to be quiet is easiest!) then even if the line is quiet to start with after a minute or two the connection will start to break down and the noise will appear.If it's only happening on windy/or and/wet days it most probably is outside.If you can disconnect your extensions and just plug into the master socket and it still makes a noise then it's bt's problem anyway and you can't be charged!

At least BT will fix it - probably quite quickly as well - a competent and friendly engineer will fix your problem, even if they do find an excuse to charge you!

I had, for a painful and frustrating 18 months, phone lines from a well-known cable firm. They made BT look like a shining example of corporate efficiency!! I would tell you about it but I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I would still be writing if I told you the whole saga.

Have fun

P

"I'm going on holiday tomorrow "

Eeek. How long for?! Have a nice time. If it's the Med, lay off the Extra Virgins...

Another one not going to Scoby_Beasley open all hour party :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm off for a week to Spain, place called Javier, I think, for some reason can't remember exactly. Looking forward to it. Apart from the flight. Don't like flying..

Hmmm, virgins.....

Scoby had better save me a bottle of Grolsh then :D

Have a good one...

P

Oh there - sorry mate that's where I was last week. Bit of scorchio so there's no virgins left. A few Olive Oyle's maybe.

paulfromswindon said:
Scoby had better save me a bottle of Grolsh then :D

Have a good one...

P
Its in the fridge, very tempting mind....now I'm p+ss+d I'll check this light socket out with a wet finger while standing in a bucket of water..... OUCH!! It is the bulb thats gone then :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
P.S. Don't try this at home folks !!

paulfromswindon said:
Don't like flying.

If you want to take your mind of flying,try and find Scoby house,you can't miss it.....its the only alcoholic blackout house at night.If you see his wife at the airport tell her what a tight gits he is :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'll be stood at Gatwick with a sign saying 'Mrs Scoby_Beasley, please get home, your husband has finished all the booze and is starting to drink the cat's water'!!

Ah, well, by this time tomorrow night, most of my blood will have been replaced by alcohol, so I won't care :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back