radio interference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, wonder if anyone can help.

when i tune my stereo into mw i get terrible interference from the noise of the engine (or at least i think it is that?) is this caused by a bad earth somewhere on the vehicle?

Sponsored Links
i have a ford fiesta :(

davedasave wrote
[/quote]have you checked the tightness of the aerial and its connections?
where can i find the aerial connections?

the main aerial connection is wherever the aerial is, if its a screw in aerial (beesting) it will be a screw fit - make sure its properly screwed in (normally on the roof or wing) if its the retractable type on the wing, look under the wing and have a feel around and you should be able to feel the cable, make sure thats secure, they normally get covered in mud, so take it off and clean it up with emery cloth, and also clean the car body metal work where the aerial bolts to with emery. if all that is ok, take the radio out and make sure the aerial is a good fit in the back, if it is and you still have bad reception, look at the main wiring that plugs into the back and work out which is earth, cut it leaving enough cable to fit a round connector to it and bolt it to the chassis somewhere behind the stereo, that should do it
Don't cut any wires though if you're not sure what colour earth is, tell me year and engine size and i'll tell you what colour it is. This is a last resort though, Ford had a big problem at the end of the nineties with poor reception due to the earth wire being too long. hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Davedasave wrote
the main aerial connection is wherever the aerial is, if its a screw in aerial (beesting) it will be a screw fit - make sure its properly screwed in (normally on the roof or wing) if its the retractable type on the wing, look under the wing and have a feel around and you should be able to feel the cable,

cant seem to find my aerial, although i know i do have one coz this is just a recent problem.
I dont have the srew-in type that attaches to the roof :confused: :confused:

But will try all your other suggestions, but would this not be a loose earth connected to the engine body from somewhere?

EDIT Sorry, forgot to mention that i have a 1998 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.2

you can't find your aerial? maybe its in the boot, ford did try and hide them at one point.
It would indeed mean there is a loose or dirty earth somewhere but rather than ripping your dash apart to find it it would be quicker to make a new one 30cm or so from where the radio is

nabby68 said:
Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.2

The examples of this model that I've seen are on the roof screw in types. Are you sure yours hasn't been pinched?

Back