Vauxhall Astra Stereo Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ... Got vauxhall Astra and just put a new stereo in it

Does anyone know which colour wire is for the memory, which stores the radio preferences ? ... Would be useful since then dont have to tune in radio everytime i start the engine

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Jim2287 said:
Hi ... Got vauxhall Astra and just put a new stereo in it

Does anyone know which colour wire is for the memory, which stores the radio preferences ? ... Would be useful since then dont have to tune in radio everytime i start the engine

Thanks

use a multimeter to find out. its often red or yellow, but check first

also, ive found on mine that the ignition live is actually an 'on' switch amd only has a 5A fuse. the perm live is what actually powers everything

Jim2287 said:
how does multimeter tell me which is a memory wire ?

its the only permanent live. ignition live will go dead when ignition is switched off

Sponsored Links
Any idea how many volts that will be ? :p Ive only a volt stick or bell tester

I think... its yellow, but havnt had a vauxhall for a few years.

Test using a multimeter or circuit tester or 12v bulb and wire....
With the ignitoin off, put one lead to the body, or any othe metal part of the car, and the other lead to the wires, which ever one lights up he bulb, or you get a reading from is the permanent 12v feed which you require for the memory.

Alternatively, you could buy the appropriate harness/cable adaptor. I only have experience of the Mk4 Astra, but that has an ISO harness built into the car.

You can also get expensive electronic interfaces (£80 or thereabouts) that allow certain stereos to communicate with the central display and the steering wheel controls.

Sponsored Links
Back