Vauxhall Astra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vauxhall
Astra
1.3 cdti

My timing chain snapped, I had it replaced by a mobile mechanic.
He fitted it while I was away at work.
I've come home and it won't turn over.
Tried to contact him and he's not replying.
Fortunately I haven't made the bank transfer yet so I'm not out of pocket.
Does anyone know any reason it won't start??

Sponsored Links
A brave man indeed to do that job as a mobile mechanic......when you say it won't turn over, has the engine locked up mechanically or will it spin over on the starter but just not fire up?
John :)

The starter won't turn it over I believe. Checked the battery. All lights work.
I tried to jump start it in case the battery wasn't working but it didn't help

It sounds like the mechanic has left a wire disconnected either at the battery or starter itself....easily done but I'm wondering how he tested his work after the job was done?
The starter has one heavy current wire going straight to the battery and another light current wire that goes to the ignition switch - and there could also be an earth cable from the battery negative that has been left off.

Sponsored Links
Does the engine turn over if you push the car in gear or put a spanner on the crank pulley bolt?

Couldn't get it to move in gear let alone turn over. I don't know where the crank pulley bolt is

Try rocking the car to and fro in 4th gear .....you should be able to see engine movement if you look down at the engine, offside.
You need to ascertain if the engine has locked up for some reason before delving deeper.
No contact with the mechanic yet?

Hard to rock on my own but saw no movement.
The only contact I've had from him is a text with his bank details asking for payment and a text saying "It does start but runs badly and then cuts out "

What's his explanation for why the engine doesn't run properly? I'm guessing the valves hit the pistons and bent when the chain snapped or he's put the chain on with the timing incorrect and that may have made the valves hit the pistons. I wouldn't pay him until you hear what he has to say for himself

What was the engine like before the chain change, Tom? There's something mighty odd with this one.

The engine was great before it was replaced. The chain had snapped and he knew that.
He hasn't actually said wether he checked the valves.
I haven't had time to check for loose wires as yet.
I'll have a look when I get back from work today to see if I'm missing anything.
It does look like he has taken the top off the engine so I'm sure that he would have seen damage if he'd looked

When a timing chain - or belt - snaps, the results are usually catastrophic as the valves, being uncontrolled and out of synchronisation often collide with the pistons.
Unfortunately there's no real way of knowing what damage has occurred without removing the cylinder head.
The usual technique is to replace the chain or belt and then gently turn the engine over by hand, feeling for any obstruction. If none is felt then we do go for a start up, but again there's no guarantee of success until this happens.
I'd guess your engine has valve problems now.

It probably had valve problems before the chain was replaced. Seems silly the mechanic didn't warn the owner the engine could still be ruined after he'd fitted a new chain.

He never said that there was any damage to the valves or pistons. So I'm wondering if they were even checked.
I wouldn't know where to start looking to see if I could see if there was any damage.
I doubt I've even got the right tools to take it apart.

The mechanic wouldn't know if there was damage or not without taking the cylinder head off (quite a mammoth task in itself)......but we assume he has replaced the timing chain as requested. A compression test after the job was done could indicate valve issues - but not always, curiously enough.
What he should have said was after the chain replacement there's absolutely no guarantee the engine would be well.

Sponsored Links
Back