Phone line V Broadband Connection!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone could help me. Its a simple one for you experts...
When I hear the question 'has the property or building got a broadband connection?' is this through the telephone line or is there another cable that they are referring to?

I always wonder what they mean as everyone I know has a telephone line that goes into the back of a modem to get broadband.

In an office situation for instance what would go into the back of the broadband modem rack that links all the computers? Is this just a simple phone line that is converted to broadband?

Sponsored Links

In an office situation for instance what would go into the back of the broadband modem rack that links all the computers?

Modem/router connect to phone line, Ethernet cable from modem/router patches into Ethernet switch.

When I hear the question 'has the property or building got a broadband connection?' is this through the telephone line or is there another cable that they are referring to?

ADSL (phone line), cable (DOCSIS, same cable as cable TV), usually.

In an office situation for instance what would go into the back of the broadband modem rack that links all the computers? Is this just a simple phone line that is converted to broadband?

In an office it could be ADSL, cable, T1/2/3, fibre, etc. Business requirements are drastically different to residential.

Sponsored Links
Small companies will use standard ADSL (asymetric digital subscriber line) which has a higher download speed than the upload. This can be placed onto a standard PSTN phoneline, and is typically found in homes.

Larger companies may use SDSL (symetrical digital subscriber line) which has the same upload and download speeds. This still uses a standard phoneline, but you are not able to use the line for telephone calls.

If available, businesses may have fibre presented to the building, and could have varying connection speeds far in excess of standard DSL services.

There is also a product called BT IP Converge which utilises a fibreoptic cable from the telephone exchange, this fibre used to provide primary rate (PRI) digital lines to a telephone system in the premises (ISDN30, 30 channels of speech) and the internet connection too. These converged solutions are mainly used to link sites together, although this can also be done with standard internet connections.

Companies will also often have more than one connection, often either 'bonding' these together to create more bandwidth (not 'speed'), and having one as a resiliant backup to the other (fall over).

In terms you hearing the words 'has the property or building got a broadband connection?", this often referes to simple ADSL being available at the site - ADSL may not be available at some sites for various reasons - we have a few industrial estates in our area which are deversified farms etc and are either too far from the nearest telephone exchange to recieve ADSL, or the line plant in the ground does nt have enough pairs of cable to service all the lines, let alone ADSL (DACS). These sites often rely on satellite or microwave broadband, either individually or shared. An example of a provider for this in our area is www.wdi.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back