Pick Ya Brains

• Thread starter DanTheMainsMAn
  • Start date
D

DanTheMainsMAn

Hi,
If you have a 32A Ring Main and you overload it can you up the fuse 40A and does the cable need to be upgraded to 4mm?
When People say lights 6A, Immersion 16A, Sockets 32A, Shower 45A are these the minimum you can use, last thing i have recently rewired the house and i have put 1 fuse box for the house and i have pulled the service fuse out put an Isolator on then a Service Connector Block, i have then connected another Fuse box (Metal) to service connector and ran a 40a to the shed 2 core SWA earth armour running 6a lights and 32a sockets and 16a Storage heater then i have ran another air blower of metal fuse box using 1.5mm 3 core to a weatherproof box using armoured swa is it all ok 3 amp 70w Air blower?

Sponsored Links
The iee regs now only allow up to 32A for a ring final socket circuit, in certain circumstances you may need to increase the cable to 4mm². Are you aware of Part P?

Yeh thats what i thought but you could increase ring main to 40A for high powered Rooms

Sponsored Links
Last Thing i no a bit about three phase when you have a 3 phase d board in front of you how do you connect a light or a socket to 3 phase

What type of light or socket? 3 phase, are you talking domestic or commercial/industrial?

commercial like say you got 125A 3 phase and you have a breaker with 3 poles how do you connect a Flurescent Light to it or how do you connecta 240V 3 Pin Socket it is interesting

You need to be trained to do anything of the sort in commercial premises. You could get a distro like the ones the in theatres.

cant you just tell me i aint going to do it im trying to work out how 3 phases power a flurescent light or 3 pin plug i am studying 3 phase at the minute is it easy

never done 3-phase work, but i know you connect a 230v appliance or outlet between any live and neutral, trying to keep the load balanced between the 3 phases if possible.

Im concerned by your apparent lack of knowledge and the fact that youve completely rewired your house.

please dont take this the wrong way because im not havin a go but theres so much more to it than a matter of what wires go where.

the instalation has to be carefully designed and planned.

looking at your post i have to ask myself do you know anything about relevent topics when doing a rewire such as

1, earthing arrangments
2,supply type
3,EFLI
4,Maximum demand
5, cable routes and ratings

.......... we could be here all night but i hope your getting the picture.

i strongly recommend you get your installation inspected by a proffesional.

but you know you get 3 pole breakers what do you do with the other 2 poles if you just use one live

DanTheMainsMAn said:
but you know you get 3 pole breakers what do you do with the other 2 poles if you just use one live
no. you take the 3 pole MCB out and put in a single pole one and 2 blanks.

Sparky i am qualified as a domestic installer but i am just interested how 3 phase works as crafty is saying but thanks for your help m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back