Pilot Keeps switching off...again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Boiler: Potterton kingfisher 2

The pilot in the boiler keeps switching off after every 5-7 days. I had this problem 2 months ago and posted it on this web site. I got a corgi register who came and changed the thermocouple, regulate the gas supply and everything was fine for a month and suddenly it goes off again today..

I'd be very grateful if anybody can suggest something...thx you in anticipation...

p4uluv

Sponsored Links
The thermocouple is usually the culprit in theses situations however there are other possible problems. Such as where the burner comes out i would expect to see a seal, if this is missing or damaged strong draughts can blow the pilot out. Or if on the outside wall there are big gaps around the flue again you may get draughts blowing the pilot out. Or you could have a faulty themocouple (may have just been one that was lying around in the chaps van, not new) Or the boiler might be overheating and cutting pilot off, in this instance you would usually know about it as boiler will bang and system will be noisy. Or finally the gas valve may be playing up.
I think if i was in your position i would get your gas man back have him check it over and explian that the pilot still keeps going out. Eliminate all cheap and simple options first.

Thx you for responding.

The thermocouple was new as the engineer is Agile who post messages on here. Maybe it is the seal as something was missing...

The boiler was making a noise as well....banging noise like you mentioned...but the engineer has reduced the power and he told me that the banging is not loud enough so it is probably not that..can I ask you what should i do in case it is overheating?

Sponsored Links
I would also like to stress that the boiler was serviced just three years ago....suppose it is the pilot injecter...

The fact that after I changed the thermocouple...the boiler worked fine for about one month...so don't you think if it is over heating..it would have cut down before one month as before it was stopping every 5-7 days.

Thx a lot for your suggestions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back