Pilot light fault Glowworm Swiftflow 100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anybody please help, -5c here, typical of boilers.

For the past week the boiler has been going out, I relit it ok. Last night it would not re-light. I had bought a spare thermocouple so fitted that this morning.
Same problem, I press the bypass & ignitor, it lights up fine, as soon as I try to turn the bypass knob onto normal pilot, the flame goes out.

Is it possible the new thermocouple is faulty? Or could it be something else?

Thanks for any answers

Russ

Problem solved thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You will get no answers here im afraid, could of suggested things to check before you messed with the gas side of things

Ok problem sorted, my chum who used to work on council c/h sorted it. Problem was the cutout switch that connect to the bottom of the thermocouple.

I only swapped the thermocouple, wouldn't dream of touching the gas side.

Regards

Russ

Last edited:
Thermocouple is part of gas work side area, it is there in case the flame went out, it automatically shut off the gas flow safety.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Really looking like time to start saving for a new boiler, this one being 22 years old. To be fair it hasn't given much bother over all those years, 2 thermocouples & an electrical connection that Baz identified.

How much ££££'s is a fair price for a fitted similar power boiler to heat a 1950's large'ish 3 bed semi on top of a hill & very exposed to the elements.
Which make of boiler is the most reliable? my chum reckons Worcester, is that the general consensus among c/h Engineers?

I charge £740 to fit a heat only boiler and £840 to fit a combi and think those are reasonable prices.

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony,

I haven't been able to price a boiler yet, not sure which model I'd need. Anybody know off top of head price of a Worcester big enough for the description given above?

Most better combi boilers are about £800 to £1200 to buy.

Some installers charge a lower labour charge and add a markup to the boiler price so its the total price that's relevant to you.

You will not save anything by buying the boiler yourself if that's what you were thinking.

Few engineers here much like Worcesters here.

Intergas, Viessmann and Vaillant will be the most popular.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
No, I wasn't thinking of buying the boiler myself, just specifying which boiler I wanted so I don't get something unreliable.
O f those 3 you mention, which is your preference? I've only heard of Vaillant.

I suggest what I think best for the customer in each case.

Some others choose what is best for THEM.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back