Pilot won't stay lit after system drain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to be upfront, I'm a total amatuer and I'm not looking for gas fitting advice...just a few pointers if anyone can help.

I recently drained my CH system to take off a radiator and change some faulty valves. However, since refilling the system the pilot light does not want to stay lit. It was working ok before I drained the system.

The boiler is an old Glow Worm Swift Flow 80 (Combi). I refilled to about 1.2 Bar, and I've bled all the rads to get any air out. The fan seems to be working, not sure about anything else.

If somebody could tell me if there is anything I can check, or should have done but haven't, then Id be really grateful. I really can't afford to get an engineer in just now...but I will if I have to. Just want to check that there is nothing I can do first.

Sponsored Links
Thermocouple is knackered.
It would have been ok when lit but twhen it cools, if faulty, it doesn't expand again to keep the pilot lit.

RGI needed, £10 part though so not a big cost......

Thanks ROSSGR, I've called a RGI an he'll be coming in the morning. Nice to have some idea of the problem before he comes. Cheers.

It just might be worth mentioning the Overheat Stat too.

T/ Leads dont fail when you drain a system, but O/H Stats might, if you fire the boiler with an air lock and it 'locks out'.

T/Leads on Swiftflows are fun to change. :D :!:

Just a thought.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't to sure if this chb had one as bad as the vokera o/heats that fail all the time.....but yeah, could be that too/also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back