Pipe and frost stat, do I still need them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH system is 3 years old, when installed it was installed in an unheated outhouse, hence (presumably) the pipe and frost stat in there with it.

I have now remodeled the kitchen, removing the partition wall between the outhouse and kitchen to give a bigger kitchen.

now that the boiler is inside, does it need the frost or pipe stat? the pipes that it is attached to will be inside a stud wall.

Personally, I can't see the need for them now its in the heated house, but im not a CH engineer.

Forgot to ask the engineer when he serviced it, did check about flue distances from the window though (its fine)

Sponsored Links
You dont say what your boiler model is(some have built in frost protection)
If the boiler and pipework is now in a heated area, then frost protection is not required, although leaving it in position will do no harm.
It will provide protection if the house is left unheated for extended periods.

Its a Baxi Duo-Tec 24HE.

There may/may not be room for the pipestat in the wall in its present position, might be able to move things around, ill have a look.

The CH programmer does have a frost stat built into it (wireless remote one) so there is some protection (if you trust wireless)

Sponsored Links
cheers, have just discovered that the pipe and frost stats were wired in series , is that normal? seems daft to me, as both the pipe and frost would have to kick in for the boiler to operate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back