Pipe Insulation Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of decorating a bedroom and thought before I get the carpet relaid. I would lift some of the floorboards and attempt to cure the problem of central heating pipes that make a noise when anyone walks around the room. It sounds as though some of the pipes are loose.
I was wondering if i could use pipe insulation where necessary to pack around the pipe and prevent or at least reduce any movement.
My question is, bearing in mind the temperature that the pipe can get to. Can I use standard pipe insulation that you would use say in a roof space to insulate cold water pipes or is there some special type of pipe insulation that withstands higher temperatures? I seem to remember my gas filter using something when he altered the piping in my ground floor lounge.

Regards

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Thin foam lagging or perhaps easier/better hairfelt lagging.

Get down to your local carpet shop, and beg some offcuts of underlay. Wrap a small amount around the pipes, where they pass over each joist.

Sponsored Links
Get down to your local carpet shop, and beg some offcuts of underlay. Wrap a small amount around the pipes, where they pass over each joist.

Cheapskate :LOL: but I like it :idea:

Guilty as charged :oops:

Times is hard! :(
i dont think it is cheap, i think it is better, good quality underlay is great for this job cause you can cut it into strips and pack it round and between the pipes and still get the board down.

Thanks for all your replies. I've still got the underlay that I've just taken up prior to decorating. I'll use some of that.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back