pipe sizing.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usually the flow/return from a combi boiler is 22mm then tends to go down to 15 the further you get away from it. Is there a rule for this....ie if there are less than 2/3 rads to feed you can use 15mm?

I know it is ok for single rads...just wondered if you could go for more....

thanks......property is small bungalow with 6 rads 3 in either direction from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
15mm 13kw
22mm 26kw
28mm 46kw

Based on 20°C ΔT @ 1m/s

15mm 13kw
22mm 26kw
28mm 46kw

Based on 20°C ΔT @ 1m/s

Assume this apples to the rads...so if the total output of each set of 3 rads is less than 13kw I am ok with 15mm?

And where the 2 sets of pipework go to/from the boiler (28kw) it's 22mm.

thanks for your help.....Jim

13kw sounds a bit much for 15mm pipe, a fact and figures guru may well come up with the answer, although I know it's not exact because of the pipe lengths has a bearing on it.

Sponsored Links
If you want to be pedantic

0.14 x 84

0.14 is lps
84 is 4.2 x 20

11.76kw to be exact at 1m/s

Do you want the exact KW for the other sizes.

13kw sounds a bit much for 15mm pipe, a fact and figures guru may well come up with the answer, although I know it's not exact because of the pipe lengths has a bearing on it.

If Lee as taken the time to answer your question I wouldn't doubt his answer

15mm can feed a complete house depending on rad sizes, the average semi would only be approx 10kw.

I'm not trying to cause an argument, but, when I was installing I was always led to believe. 3 rads was the max on 15mm, allowing approx 1.5kw per rad.
I never designed the systems, apart from one at college for another trainee.

Then you were taught wrong unless of course you were taught for a Delta T of 10 which would be just under 6kw.

Rules of thumb are useless especially when the calc is so simple.

sorry but i disagree as well 11.76kw is 40,126 btu's & there is no way you can feed 40k btu's worth of rads on 15mm pipe, i would say 15mm will feed 4.40 kw 15000 btu's

Can you not read or do you just fail to under stand the calculation!

4.2SHC of water
20 delta t
0.00014m3 per linear meter of 15mm pipe

0.14litres/m

Calc done at 1m/s

0.14= KW / (4.2 x 20)

End of arguement.

sorry but i disagree as well 11.76kw is 40,126 btu's & there is no way you can feed 40k btu's worth of rads on 15mm pipe, i would say 15mm will feed 4.40 kw 15000 btu's
For a minute I thought the wife had put too much booze in my dinner. :eek:

based on what? hearsay :LOL:

no based on experience, so you feed 40k of rads on 15mm then wonder why they don't work, plus Lee you are talking about pipework rads work on a delta t of 50 degrees not 20

i didn't know a pop band knew anything about heating calcs :D

no based on experience, so you feed 40k of rads on 15mm then wonder why they don't work, plus Lee you are talking about pipework rads work on a delta t of 50 degrees not 20

i didn't know a pop band knew anything about heating calcs :D

experience is variable. Physics is constant. You cant argue with correct calculations because you have always done it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back