Pipe that goes into cistern is leaking - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a copper pipe that has a nut which screws into the plastic ballcock arm thing.

I unscrewed the copper bit and could see the washer was wasted away.

I have replaced that but it's not helped. If anything the leak is worse. It's very difficult to see where the water is coming from.

A friend asked if I'd replaced the plastic pipe and ballcock arm. But I haven't. It looks in good condition and I'm not sure what would help.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
Examine the end of the plastic thread ,the surface that comes into contact with the red fibre seal. It should be nice and flat. Also check the thread for damage ,it can quite easily be cross threaded when tightening up the brass nut . when you put it back together dont overtighten the brass nut. If in doubt fit a new float valve with a brass tail.

Sponsored Links
Examine the end of the plastic thread ,the surface that comes into contact with the red fibre seal. It should be nice and flat. Also check the thread for damage ,it can quite easily be cross threaded when tightening up the brass nut . when you put it back together dont overtighten the brass nut. If in doubt fit a new float valve with a brass tail.

I FIXED IT!!!!!

Unbelievable, one of my greatest ever achievements :D (But seriously, it is pretty impressive considering how bad I am with anything DIY related).

Thanks for the suggestion of the "brass tail". I bought one earlier from screwfix, and that seems to have fixed the issue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back