Leaky pipe - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am certainly no plumber, so need a little help with a leaky pipe issue I have.

The leak is coming from where the copper pipe meets the plastic thread going into our toilet. The metal "nut" on the end of the copper pipe screws onto the plastic thread that comes our from under the cistern on the toilet. This plastic bit is attached to the ballcock the other side.

I was thinking that all I need to do is unscrew the "nut" and wrap some PTFE tape around the plastic thread, but I have a question. How does the metal "nut" on the copper pipe become water tight? The "nut" can be turned with the copper pipe not moving (obviously).

I think the connection I have is the same on almost any toilet, so nothing unusual.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
First thing to try is to do the nut up a bit! But don't overdo it, it's easy to strip the threads on the plastic

The fitting on the end of the pipe should be a "tap connector". something like this:
p1081780_l.jpg

Don't put tape on the treads, they aren't meant to be a water seal .
Once you've got the water turned off, undo the nut completely, slide it back, pull the fitting out of the plastic spigot. The Tap Connector should have a little ring washer which goes up against the end of the plastic spigot. You could try leaving it there but winding 4-5 turns of ptfe tightly round, so that half the width of the tape goes inside the plastic when you push it back together.
Do the nut up so it's firm but don't overdo it, it's easy to strip the threads on the plastic.

The Tap Connector should have a little ring washer which goes up against the end of the plastic spigot. You could try leaving it there but winding 4-5 turns of ptfe tightly round, so that half the width of the tape goes inside the plastic when you push it back together.

Do you mean winding ptfe tape around the washer, the plastic or the "tap connector"?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back