Piping through joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have to move a radiator which involves lifting one floorboard the length of the room and passing two 15mm pipes across/through about 20 joists!
Is this a problem? Am I OK to cut a 15mm deep slot in the top of each joist and rest the pipes in the slot?
I will lag the pipes slightly to prevent creaking, my main concern is the load bearing capacity of joists with a slot in them!!
I'd welcome any ideas on this. Thanks a lot - Chris

Sponsored Links
diversion said:
Am I OK to cut a 15mm deep slot in the top of each joist and rest the pipes in the slot?

Cut a 20 mm deep notch in the joists. You are allowed to notch up to 1/8 of joist depth (assuming yours are 8x2 joists) :D

Do lag to avoid expansion noises. :!:

Don't forget that notches are only permitted in certain parts of a joist - Between 0.07 and 0.25 span, IIRC

Similarly, holes through joists are permitted on the centre line in the area 0.25 - 0.4 span, and should be no closer than three diameters apart.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back