PIR + 2 x wall downlights not working...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have recently moved into a house that has a PIR and lights, but they don't appear to work. It could be that the PIR is just broke, but I wanted to check here before making any costly investment.

Theres a light switch in the garage, which controls the garage light, and a RCD fused spur with 5 amp fuse, has been run off it with 2.5mm twin and earth. The load-side of the spur is delivered with regular flex cable. It runs to a PIR sensor, and it seems to be wired correctly (though the unit has no earth connection, so the earth wire in the flex appears to have been just snipped off at the entrance to the unit). A further cable then leads from the PIR, on the load-side, to a 50w downlight (which appears to be wired correctly (the unit has an earth, but the earth wire has similarly been snipped), then theres an onward cable to a second 50w down light, from the first light, again, apparently wired correctly, but with the snipped earth wire.

There is no light output. I have changed both bulbs and fiddled with the PIR sensor controls. Nothing. When I press the 'reset' button on the RCD it makes a clicking noise and the red warning light flashes once - repeatedly if I keep it pressed - which I guess would indicate a leakage somewhere on the circuit.

I am not an electrician, and don't want to start fiddling with it, but at the same time if its simple and I can resolve it without getting an electrician or ripping it out and starting again, it would help. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Well, some testing needs to be done.

If you are not able to do that then you will need an electrician.

For a start, you could by-pass the PIR and see if the light works.

It is obviously impossible to tell what is wrong from here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back