PIR light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI.
I had an outside PIR security light installed by an electrician 10 years ago and this has worked fine all that time. The light came with the familiar manual override feature which is invoked by switching the wall switch (inside the house) 2-3 times rapidly.

The light recently packed up and I purchased a new one with the same features. I replaced it without difficulty - only two wires, red & black and, being double insulated, a 'parked' earth. Both the old & the new had the additional terminal for a separate override switch if required (not used by me).

After installation the light worked fine in PIR mode, however, I was unable to invoke the day time walk test by rapid switching, and neither would the manual override work after dark. initially I thought it was a faulty sensor so I obtained a replacement but still no joy. I had it tested by the manufacturer & they confirm it is working OK.

What can be wrong? I noticed that when I turned the switch off, the live wire at the lamp remains live - presumably this means the switch is on the neutral rather than the live. I can't easily see what the electrician has done without crawling up into a crawlspace above the eaves.

Could this be the problem, and is there any other issue with it having been wired in this way? If this is what is preventing the override function working, then do some of these operate in different ways, because the override function worked fine with the old lamp, yet they appear to operate in the same way?

I don't intend to change the wiring myself if it is an issue, but I'm just trying to understand what the fault could be before I engage someone if there is a simple solution here. I remain puzzled as to why one worked but the new one won't.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Not all PIRs have the override function. In areas prone to erratic power supply it can be more of a nuisance than a benefit with light coming on when not wanted.

Better in my opinion to have a PIR with no override and fit override switching

Thanks - I know they don't all have this function, but my old one did as I used it for 10 years without issue, so, knowing that it can work OK for me, I don't really want the hassle of wiring a separate switch.

The new one says it has the same feature, the manufacturers confirm it does, and they've tested the sensor & tell me it works fine in override mode. I can therefore only conclude that it is my wiring that is at fault (for the reasons stated), however, if that is the case, I still don't understand why the previous lamp DID work, apparently in exactly the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back