PIR Practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well i have just finished doing a PIR of my house, its only 5 years old so circuits are in good nick.

I did most of the circuits by the book and i pretty much got the figures that were anticipated.

Just a few of questions before i go downstairs and crack a bottle or 8 open.

1)
All you experienced testers, do you tell the customer in advance to have all the appliances unplugged and switches in open?

2)
Instead of removing lamps (downlighters) do you do the insulation resistance test with the switch closed?

Sponsored Links
JackTheCat said:
Well i have just finished doing a PIR of my house, its only 5 years old so circuits are in good nick.

I did most of the circuits by the book and i pretty much got the figures that were anticipated.

Just a few of questions before i go downstairs and crack a bottle or 8 open.

1)
All you experienced testers, do you tell the customer in advance to have all the appliances unplugged and switches in open?

In an ideal world yes, but virtually all our occupied domestic work is in rented properties with fairly uncooperative tennants.

2)
Instead of removing lamps (downlighters) do you do the insulation resistance test with the switch closed?

If they are low voltage downlighters then you will need to disconect the transformers aswell or you will get false insulation resistance readings. Testing to the switch only is not testing the full circuit, and there could potentially be a serious problem on the wiring post switch that will lay undiscovered until it is too late. It is you that has signed the installation off as being safe so it will be you that gets f****d in the a**e if something goes wrong with part of a circuit that should have been tested but wasn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back