PIR Sensors Alternative To Re-Wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have recently had work done to combine our kitchen and dining room. Where the light switch for the dining room is situated is soon to be hidden by a large fridge-freezer; it is accessible, but not easily. I was due to start some re-wiring to put the switch next to the kitchen light switch, but this would mean a lot of chasing and pulling up of carpets and floorboards, when someone suggested indoor PIR sensors.

The problem? I'm an amateur when it comes to these such things and need (lots of) advice!

Ideally I would like to leave the light switch alone (and turned on) whilst fitting a sensor which will cause the light to turn on when it's dark enough and someone is moving in that area. Is this possible?

I've seen items which replace the light switch, but since it will be completely hidden, this is not ideal.

What about a ceiling fitting with a sensor allowing us to fit whichever light fitting we (read: my special lady friend!) choose?

I have many more questions/queries, but believe it better to save them until someone with more knowledge is able to respond to my initial ones.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Sponsored Links
PIRs (or Occupancy Detectors) have advantages - you can't forget to turn the lights off when leaving the room, the sensor will turn them off after a while. And of course, they'll turn on when you walk in, even if you have both hands full of pots or whatever.

On the other hand, you don't have any control over the lights - they'll always come on when there's movement.
Also, depending on the sensor, its location, and room layout, you can find yourself plunged into darkness if whatever you are doing doesn't involve movement that will re-trigger the sensor.

Sponsored Links
Owain's suggestion I can confirm works. We had a similar problem with bedroom furniture and this solved the dilemma. We do have a PIR in a hallway and it's good, but for rooms such as kitchens, I'd expect it to be triggered by non-human heat sources and be a nuisance as shielding is difficult to achieve.

We have recently had work done to combine our kitchen and dining room.
Surely while that was being done would have been the ideal time to relocate switches and sockets as necessary?

As Owain suggested, look at wireless switches. MK do ones which don't even need batteries.

Unless you've got room to have 2 IR beams and fancy creating an automation system which tracks the sequence of beam crossings to work out which direction people are going in and therefore knows if there's at least one person in the kitchen.

Voice recognition s/w is pretty good these days, if you fancy being able to walk into the kitchen and say "kitchen lights on". :cool:

Why not simply use the existing switch box as a blank plate / junction and extend from there horizontally for a meter or so, to a open part of the wall?

Thanks for all your swift replies and advice.

I've decided to go for the r/c option, as it saves the most time, and doesn't produce as much dust, unlike channelling out plaster, as I discovered on another job today!

Again, many thanks to you all. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back