4 PIR sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire:
- 4 PIR sensors
- to four lights
- so that when any PIR is activated all the lights come on.
- I also need a manual over-ride switch so that I can turn off the PIR sensors - and also another switch so I can overide them on.

Can anyone help me in as plain english as possible please? A diagram would also be immensely useful.

Many thanks,

B.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, I do wish the mods could find a way of locking any topic that is more than (say) 6 months old if there has been no activity.

But hey, maybe the question isn't important to berginequine. He hasn't started a new one, so nothing to do this afternoon except watch England v France

:D

Ahh, hello

I am assuming these are stand-alone PIR units, and not combo PIR/lights?

For multiple PIRs, you need to run 4 core cable between the PIRs
If its outside you'll need at least rubber, or Hi-Tuf cable.

Just gang all the connections to ether like this

Live-----------------Live-----------------Live------------------Live
Neutral-------------Neutral--------------Neutral--------------Neutral
Sw.Live-------------Sw.Live-------------Sw.Live-------------Sw.Live
And the earth should be contunuous from end to end and connected to an earth terminal at each PIR, if there is one.

And for the overide ON OFF switches

and add the extra three PIRs and three lamps to the right hand side of the diagram

You also need to check that each PIR can switch the total load of all four lamps.

While it could be done with 4 separate mains powered PIRs, this will not be easy to control properly, since each PIR will have it's own settings for light level and time.
When one of the sensors goes bust, good luck trying to find out which one is causing the lights to stay on permanently.

Far better to just buy the equipment designed for the purpose:
http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/security-lighting/sapphire-1500-mk3/

Can't see a problem myself.

Sometimes it's good to have a different time for sensors.
It can give u an idea which one triggered.

A faulty one would be one that isn't clicking correctly or just disconnect 1 wire from sensor until problem goes away.

Be a good idea to buy a spare though so they would together correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back