Planning and Roof ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After giving a project I had in mind a little more thought, I have decided to extend my garage by approx. 5 - 6 feet, will I need to get planning permission for this? I have no other extensions.

Provided everything goes to plan, I would need to put a pitched roof on to match up with current roof. Would this be an expensive job? The brick work is block and brick 5 foot forward from the front of garage, no windows, no drainage problems etc. Easy access.

I got told the cost of doing the roof will make the cost not worth the effort. :?: but I am not a builder so have no idea about these things. Any builders in Warrington want a job?

The reason for doing this is 5 foot of the garage got used as a utility room and I need a full length garage, if I rip out the utility my life will not be worth living. :LOL: Incidentally my neighbour wants exactly the same thing doing.

c.jpg

Basically I just want to extend the garage walls 5 or 6 feet forward and stick a roof on. Reuse existing door etc. Internally the garage is 9 feet wide. Inside the existing pitched roof is just open loft space.

Is this a big job?

Sponsored Links
Yes you would need planning for it - you are changing the footprint + appearance of the building.

Extending out by 6 foot is possible, but the the new pitched roof over the extension will be of a similar appearance to the mini roof you have over the upper window on the photo.

If you and you're neighbour are definite about doing the job, I'm only in Leeds + can offer my services to get the drawings done + application submitted. Let me know if you're interested.........if not good luck

PP is almost a certainty. Have you though about extending to full height? With the cost of new footings & extending the low level garage pitched roof around the side, it may well be more cost effective to go the whole hog!

To give you some idea, I was given a fully itemised quote of just over £26k for a similar extension around 2 years ago; it involves extending over an existing garage similar to yours with a separate stair access to a new 6m x 4m bedroom with en-suite & windows front & back; I’ve yet to go ahead with it but I’m hoping it won’t have gone up too much due to the current economic gloom!

If you are extending towards a highway (which it looks like you are) then PP will be needed.

Sponsored Links
is there any room to the left of the building?

if so, build the garage there and convert the existing to habitable.

it could even have a pitched roof that could merge with the existing canopy, pitching front to back.

or am i talking out of my.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back