Planning application for roof works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Back in November 2020 we decided to have our roof re latted, new felt and re tiled, the roofers used the tiles we already had and new felt and latts where added. Whilst they where undertaking the work a member of the council appeared and left a number for me to ring with them. I rang them and they said I had to pay £217 for a planning application, I duly paid it and no other contact was made from them to me. I didn't receive any paperwork for this but as no structures where being changed, roof height was the same and the tiles where re used then why would we need an application.

I have received an email from the council this morning notifying me of changes about parts F,L & O and I really don't understand why this has come to me. The dates are wrong and they have said that the application will be closed from November 2023 and a new one will have to bemade.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Sponsored Links
are you sure it was planning and not building regs? Once you remove and replace your roof you have to comply with building regs which would mainly be insulation.
When you applied you should have called them out to inspect after the work and then they would issue a completion certificate. Presumably you are still on their list as an open file so you are on the mailing list for updates. Perhaps they only hold them open for 3 years anyway.

If you're going to sell the house soon it might be worth getting it all sorted out by calling the council, if not you might be fine to ignore.

I didn't apply as out roof works didn't qualify under 3 parts. The council didn't explain the process at the time and said that I applied, new regulations have come into play as from 2022 regarding thermal heat barriers which they say covers us but our roof works where completed in 2020 so doesn't.

Your posts are very confusing.
What is your actual question(s)?

Sponsored Links
Ok, I will make it clear.

We didn't apply to the council for a building control application.
Wasn't informed of what and why it's needed.
Have been told recently it's because of new regulations brought in 2022.
Our roof works finished in 2020.

Is the application necessary?

Are the council right for not doing anything since November 2020 until now?

The requirement to upgrade insulation if carrying out significant work on a house came in before 2022 - I found this article from Jan 2020 that refers to it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of the 2016 updates to the building regs.

So you may be able to argue that having paid the fee (which was presumably a Building Regs application) in 2020 you don’t need to meet the 2022 standard, but you will need to make sure that it meets the standard required at the time and have it inspected / signed off.

The requirement to upgrade insulation if carrying out significant work on a house came in before 2022 - I found this article from Jan 2020 that refers to it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of the 2016 updates to the building regs.

So you may be able to argue that having paid the fee (which was presumably a Building Regs application) in 2020 you don’t need to meet the 2022 standard, but you will need to make sure that it meets the standard required at the time and have it inspected / signed off.
This is what I thought, they have clearly stated that it's because of the regulations changed in 2022 and nothing else.
I have argued that our roof works didn't meet the criteria for needing to meet building regulations prior due to 75% of the roof being re used, no structural changes and no changes in the height.

Well that’s going to be a different argument - you‘ve replaced 0% of the structure, 100% of the felt and battens, and re-used the tiles whether that equates to 25% I don’t know, but I can see BC’s argument that it does and paying the fee may make it seem that you agreed (even if you didn’t actually understand the process).

I know that dealing with the Council can be hard work, so good luck!

Replacing felt/battens... is that not a repair? and no permission necessary?
I was told to retile a roof wouldn't need any of the councils input... is this not correct?

I have been advised that replacing barons and felt whilst replacing the original tiles doesn't require the council's input. Their failing is that they keep harping on about the thermal heat barrier which didn't come into play until after the roofs been done.
I will be copying my local councillor in to my response for good.
measure

If you are replacing the roof covering of a pitched roof (even if using same tiles), Part L1b comes into play. This states that, at the same time, any loft insulation should be topped up to 250mm, if not already that thickness.

This requirement appears in my old 2010 copy of L1b, and is the same wording in the latest update, so it would have applied in 2020 (see attached).

However, if considering enforcement of Building Regs, IIRC the council should act within two years of completion of the work. Perhaps you should not have paid their fee before quizing them?

Attachments

• Document_2023-02-20_185643.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
As above, replacing the roof covering (even with the same tiles or whatever) has been notifiable for ages. In your case there shouldn't be structural issues (lots of problems when people replaced slates with much cheaper but heavier concrete tiles) so all they'll be bothered about is loft insulation.
The BCOs up here all keep an eye out for scaffold going up when they're out on site visits, most roofers don't bother with notification cos it's you the householder who is responsible to notify and you who'll be chased by the council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back