Planning for solar water heating a future date

There are two ways that we can go with all this eco stuff... Either the price for installing and supplying equipment is going to fall dramatically so that it is economically viable to install...OR the powers that be will raise the price of energy so that the price of this stuff is economically viable to install... One is fairy land and the other we know will happen in time.. Our problem is just knowing when the break even point will be...

Sponsored Links
Its down to how green you want to be/how long you want to stay in property. under the right situation solar panels work superbly. Yes there is an expense to installing them (beware you can be ripped off big time).
Eventually they are free to run, never come across a boiler that pays for it self!

The Gassaver is a good idea and i understand a number of manufacturers have trialled it, notably Viessmann.

Plume is reduced to almost nothing, which is for some customers enough benefit on its own.

The problem is that our Government is obsessed with energy saving measures that are visible, because that is what wins votes from those members of the populus who have been poorly educated.

Only solar and wind energy is visible, and therefore that is where most of the taxpayer's money goes.

Eventually they are free to run, never come across a boiler that pays for it self!
Eventually, like boilers, and you and me, they wear out and have to be replaced. It's unlikely there is any financial return for any but the most modest system in under 30 years, by which time most solar stuff will be decidedly ragged. So free to run is like the NHS being free at the point of use.

Sponsored Links
Contact your local council about a home improvement grant, there is EU money available for efficiency upgrade work. Insulation, windows, heating etc. Its not means tested but full of red tape and buracracey. But is there and worth persuing.

There is no need to pay extra for a special cylinder now!

You can always add a second ( standard= cheap ) cylinder to solar preheat the inlet water later if you really wish to have solar water.

Tony

Hi All,

We're going to have a replacement boiler and cylinder (mains water pressure) put into our house.

Is it possible to allow for the addition of solar water heating at a later date ? I'm thinking of a dual coil Megaflow. Could we install that now - and leave 1 coil disconnected until we get round to installing the solar panels ?

or am i talking rubbish as I know nothing of these things

Ta very much

Steve

Go for a thermal store it is ideally suited to what you want.

One one poster has mentioned one - shows the engineering quality of the posters.

have a look at baxis chp for saving money. they are in with some big american firm on this one. it is a boiler with a small turbine engine that produces electricity that you sell back to the national grid.reckon its going to be big.

UK boiler manufacturer Baxi has unveiled a radical new product that will revolutionise domestic heating. Micro-CHP is essentially a gas boiler, similar in size to a normal wall hung boiler, which generates electricity for use in the home while providing heating and hot water.

The combined heat and power (CHP) unit generates 1kW of electricity per hour using a Free Piston Stirling Engine. Any extra electricity needed can be supplemented from the National Grid. In addition, any electricity generated by the unit that is surplus to requirement may be sold back to the National Grid.

Baxi has developed the technology to produce a boiler that operates virtually noise and vibration free, in a casing that is no bigger than a standard domestic boiler. If fitted in an average home, around one tonne of carbon dioxide could be saved annually, as well as substantial reductions in fuel bills.

Chief Executive Officer of Baxi Group UK, Martyn Coffey, presented the product this week to Malcolm Wicks MP, Minister for Energy, Ian Pearson MP, Minister for Science and Innovation, Baroness Maddock, President of the Micropower Council, and other industry bodies and utility companies at a Micropower Council event.

Housebuilders and utility companies attended a micro-CHP open day last month when they had the opportunity to visit field trials where the units have been working in homes for the last 12 months, generating electricity and selling the surplus back into the National Grid.

Martyn Coffey said: "We are delighted with the response we have had to micro-CHP. If the Government's targets for reducing carbon dioxide emissions are to be met, we as an industry have to step up to the plate and invest in developing technologies for the future. Gaining recognition of the product at the highest level means it will be easier when the product is ready for general distribution at the end of 2008."

Micro-CHP will be commercially available from early 2009.

Hi All,

We're going to have a replacement boiler and cylinder (mains water pressure) put into our house.

Is it possible to allow for the addition of solar water heating at a later date ? I'm thinking of a dual coil Megaflow. Could we install that now - and leave 1 coil disconnected until we get round to installing the solar panels ?

Ta very much

Steve

One one poster has mentioned one - shows the engineering quality of the posters.

It could also indicate they are aware of their shortcomings.

Hi All,

Ta very much

Steve

Thee are no shortcomings. They are perfect for multi heat sources, of which you clearly didn't know. Most here should stick to drains.

have a look at baxis chp for saving money. they are in with some big american firm on this one. it is a boiler with a small turbine engine that produces electricity that you sell back to the national grid.reckon its going to be big.

The DACHSs has been around for a long time.

Gledhill make a dedicated thermal store for CHP
http://www.gledhill.net/water-storage/ws-index.htm
Go to:
Alternative Energies..then..
BoilerMate mCHP thermal store

Hi All,

Ta very much

Steve

Thee are no shortcomings. They are perfect for multi heat sources, of which you clearly didn't know. Most here should stick to drains.

In which case, you are the perfect person to explain the advantages of a thermal store over a simple unvented to the OP.. He is asking for advise not sweeping statements.

Wow thanks for the replies folks - solar energy obviously stirs up some strong opinions! both for and against!

Not sure we have time etc at the moment to investigate all the ins and outs (and grants!) - just thought the solar cylinder would give us some flexibilty for the future and as we need a new cylinder anyway it seemed like a good option.

heat store sounds interesting as well though - i'll look into that a bit more

ta

s

Even YOU have shortcomings. Sometimes you appear to be intelligent, then you make posts like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back