Planning for solar water heating a future date

Just to throw another thought in .... our roof faces east-west (maybe slightly off this but close enough) - does that make solar even more debateable ?

Sponsored Links
Thee are no shortcomings. They are perfect for multi heat sources, of which you clearly didn't know. Most here should stick to drains.

Even YOU have shortcomings.

You and the rest of them clearly don't know about simple thermals storage. He goes on.....

Sometimes you appear to be intelligent,

I don't appear to be I am intelligent. Again he prattles.....

then you make posts like that.

Read it all. Read it 6 times - I don't care if you move your lips.

There are no shortcomings. They are perfect for multi heat sources, of which you clearly didn't know. Most here should stick to drains.]

In which case, you are the perfect person to explain the advantages of a thermal store over a simple unvented to the OP.. He is asking for advise not sweeping statements.

Read this site first for explanation.
http://www.heatweb.com

Sponsored Links
Solar is worth it if you DIY...and as fuel prices rise becoming even more worthwhile.

And conversely NOT worthwhile if you have to have it professional fitted.

Even on a DIY basis, a typical two panel collector system is going to cost £2000 to buy for the panels, pipework and controls WITHOUT a cylinder or heat transfer device.

In that case, saving £100-£150 a year will still give a payback of about 20 years and that only arises as a result of increasing fuel prices. The savings only equate to the interest on the capital and thats on a DIY basis with no cost for installation.

Getting panels on to high roofs is likely to be beyond most DIYers unless scaffolding is used!

Tony

For an East-West roof the proper way would be to have panels on each roof and the controller will detect which set had the most solar gain and automatically switch to this set.

Even more reason not to have it due to installation cost.

Flat panels lose about 35% of the available pickup power on each set in your case!

However the tubes can be angled so they only lose about 15%

However tubes can be installed horizontally on a vertical south facing wall and are very efficient in that format.

Tony

Maybe I'll speak to my neighbour who does have a south facing roof (adjoining house and right next to where the hot water cylinder will be !)

F
However tubes can be installed horizontally on a vertical south facing wall and are very efficient in that format.

Tony

But not in the winter.

They can be installed during the winter if the weather is warm and sunny like today!

Tubes would pick up quite a bit of heat on a day like today!

Tony

Even on a DIY basis, a typical two panel collector system is going to cost £2000 to buy for the panels, pipework and controls

Tripe!!!!

Whole solar roofs are worth it. That is the tiles are stripped and the whole roof is a solar panel. Cheaper than a ground source heat pump. and cost only a pump to run.

Have it running UFH and it will be well worth it.

Tripe!!!!

Have you ever installed any solar panels? Or even any gas boilers ?

Have you taken the Solar Assessments or even been on any manufacturer's solar courses??

Just how much do you think solar panels cost??? The average at the last show was over £800 !

Tony

guys (and gals if there are any posting)

you crack me up ! Is this heating engineer 'sledging' ? to use a cricketing term ?

Just found out we might get gazumpted on the house anyway but reading these posts really cheers me up !

Just in case we do eventually get the house:

The thermal store sounds quite interesting - just to check, could we have one with immersion, solar coil, boiler coil and wood-burner stove input (wood burner won't be used much though and solar is for future installation maybe) ?

Any suggestions re. make/size for a 5 bed, 3 bath Victorian semi

Can these be sited in the loft (big tank of HW in loft - is that a good thing even if unpressurised ?)

Also, how far away from an external wall can a boiler be sited ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back