Planning permission appeal - 2 issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

We have a 7 year old chalet bungalow. We wish to add dormer extensions front and back to give square bedrooms upstairs with full height ceilings.

Both have been refused and we are wondering how to proceed.

Problem 1.....

At the rear there were overlooking concerns when the bungalow was built. Neighbouring garden is at 90 degrees across the back extending 50 feet left and right of our garden. Bungalow at back is to the left at 45 degrees to our rear elevation about 25 metres away. We applied to put 2 velux at 4 feet which was refused but approved on appeal. Main reason was that the property we overlook was overlooked by a big extension on the other side and they did not object. We therefore now have a clear and unobstructed view from each velux of the whole of the rear garden behind us and the rear of their bungalow at a 45 degree angle. We have this view from inside both upstairs bedrooms.

Rear dormer would increase the area of window but the view of neighbours garden would be the same except windo is upright. We can see no reduction in privacy.

Question: if we already have a view of their entire garden and bungalow, do we have grounds to say that the dormer window which is in the same place will not reduce privacy?

Problem 2....

At the fron there are two dormers approximately 4 feet wide in the roof, bedroom and bathroom. We are looking to create one wider dormer extension, the same materials as the existing with tiled roof lines that are parallel to the existing roof. The dormer will come no furtyher forward than the existing 2.

We dont want to keep our chalet bungalow as a chalet bungalow, we wish to change it's character in what we think is a sympathetic way with one large dormer. There are 7 different types of design in our close, detached 4 bed house, several different designs of chalet bungalow, 2 lots of semis so a bit of variation. we are the middle of 3 identical chalet bungalows and these guys are not happy. they wish to retaing all 3 the same.
We arent bothered about sameness but will use existing materials to keep the overal street scene sympathetic.

We are inclined to appeal as we feel that our design, although different and not in the same proportions as adjacent, is sympathetic. It will make it more like a house but there are other houses across the close opposite.

Is there any chance an appeal might see things differently, or should we go back to planning to ask how we would need to change the design. If we lost i guess we could at that point go for a redesign.

Any advice plase?

I appreciate my descriptions are a bit woolly but any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Have your permitted development rights been withdrawn? If not, you could most probably build the rear dormer without formal planning permission.

tony1851

Thanks for reply.

Yes PD rights removed from the rear roof elevation.

Did you or your agent talk to the planners throughout the decision period? If not then speak with the officer and see if a compromise can be found.

Sponsored Links
Agent difficult to contact. Planner did site visit and said they would come back to us to talk about possible conditions etc and when we did not hear we assumed it would be ok. Then we saw it was refused.

Thanks for the advice, I am waiting for the officer to get back to us

I would get on the blower and take a more proactive approach, no wonder your agent is 'difficult to contact', probably cowering under a bush somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back