Awaiting planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a question and and am looking for some opinions if possible. We have just submitted plans to change our chalet bungalow (which has a small loft conversion circa 1958). Gable end to the front and rear of the properties. Both our neighbours have already converted using box dormers and the other pitched dormers. - we have applied to turn the ridge adding the dormers to the front of the property rather than the side, to ensure some privacy for all.

One of our neighbours converted in 2008 and said neighbour has now complained, stating a right to light and a right to privacy. Both windows to the side of the property re the plans will be obscured? They has also complained saying that we will devalue their property. Does anyone think this will hold much clout with the council. I would really appreciated some input??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Even if the neighbour doesn't raise it with the planning department, a planning officer will, following a site visit. Any first floor windows on the side elevations, that may cause overlooking may need to be obscured.

Thanks for your response, however we already had side dormer windows when they built their extension. They were not required to obscure their side dormer windows, even though they were looking into ours. I'm perplexed as to how the planners will view it.

Sponsored Links
All applications are dealt with on a case by case basis, so what happens to you may not be the same as them. If in doubt, ask. Speak to your local planning department. They should be able to give you some pre-application advice and the majority of times, this is free of charge for works to a dwelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back