Planning Portal - Nightmare!!!!!

Sit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i thought they were supposed to be making it a bit easier with permitted development etc. but this Planning Portal website is driving me round the twist!

So i am looking to get permission to build a raised deck in my garden to meet some new bi-folding doors we have installed, giving us direct access into our garden which currently we don't have. The height of the decking will be 86cm which is obviously 56cm above the threshold for needing permission.

Anyway i have been making my way through the portal and have got to the supporting documents section where i need to purchase a Site Plan (easy no problem) and a Location Plan soooo hard it's stupid.

So the portal has a selection of 4/5 preferred partners you click through to their website put in your postcode, choose your scale etc. but the guidance says the map needs to be annotated. So far not one of the preferred partners seems to have a facility to annotate the map with measurements etc.

Can anyone please advise if i am being really stupid, reading the guidance wrong or something else??

All i want to do is buy my plans and submit the application but not being able to add text, measurements, tress etc. seems to suggest it will be rejected?!?!?!??!

Anyone help?

Si

Sponsored Links
Once you buy the plan you only need to mark the site border in red and any other owned land in blue. You can do that with the online tools. You don't need to mark up the site plan with anything else

The whole thing's a nonsense anyway. All Local Authorities demand this information but, once provided, many simply ignore it and substitute their own drawing from their own database instead.

I agree that a contribution should be made to the OS for the maintenance of this information, but (except on new or particularly complicated land) it's ridiculous that we still need to go through the rigmarole of downloading and marking up site location plans.

What happens when there are multiple pockets of land of different ownership? How is anyone to know what land the development relates to and what land it affects?

Likewise for any decision.

It's not up to the planning authority to mark up plans, but they may choose to include their own copies when submitted plans are crap.

Sponsored Links
Ok so i thought they were supposed to be making it a bit easier with permitted development etc. but this Planning Portal website is driving me round the twist!

So i am looking to get permission to build a raised deck in my garden to meet some new bi-folding doors we have installed, giving us direct access into our garden which currently we don't have. The height of the decking will be 86cm which is obviously 56cm above the threshold for needing permission.

Anyway i have been making my way through the portal and have got to the supporting documents section where i need to purchase a Site Plan (easy no problem) and a Location Plan soooo hard it's stupid.

So the portal has a selection of 4/5 preferred partners you click through to their website put in your postcode, choose your scale etc. but the guidance says the map needs to be annotated. So far not one of the preferred partners seems to have a facility to annotate the map with measurements etc.

Can anyone please advise if i am being really stupid, reading the guidance wrong or something else??

All i want to do is buy my plans and submit the application but not being able to add text, measurements, tress etc. seems to suggest it will be rejected?!?!?!??!

Anyone help?

Si
Just print the plan and annotate by hand. As long as it is clear and provides the necessary information it will be fine.

Thanks guys that's really helpful, I also had a look online today at local planning applications to see others plans - there was all kinds of weird and wonderful plans submitted!

I feel more confident now about what I can submit so hoping to get it done and in this afternoon.

Is there any timescale from submission to reply, it's not proper planning after all so is it a long process or does it vary?

Thanks again

Si

Go on either will do but this is all new territory to me......

Si

Officially, Householder applications are determined within 8 weeks of *receipt*. In practice, if you're lucky, they're determined within 8 weeks of *validation*. Typically, this is two weeks after receipt - unless there is information which the LA deem is missing. Even if they're wrong, this can still delay the validation date - although it may be backdated slightly.

Recently, it appears that some LAs have become so overwhelmed by the volume of applications relative to workforce that they are routinely refusing those that are in any way contentious - so maintaining their targets while effectively passing the buck to the Planing Inspectorate's Appeal process.

In consequence, the Planning Inspectorate are now admitting that they are presently overwhelmed by the volume of cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back