Planning Portal Upgrade - It's Coming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Received this email on Friday...

Hi,

This is just a quick email to let you know that we will be upgrading the Planning Portal soon and to explain what it means for you and why we are doing it.

Our new website will provide you with many real benefits including the ability to customise your Planning Portal homepage to give you easier access to the content, tools or services you use the most. You will also be able to pull in news feeds from other sites to deliver a one-stop-shop for planning information and services online.

To deliver these changes the Planning Portal will provisionally be unavailable between midnight Friday 15 October and midnight Sunday 17 October but we hope you’ll agree the improvements will be worth it.
When the site is back up you will be able to access all your applications, both submitted and draft, as before so there is no need to back up your work.

Why are we doing it?

In short, to provide a better service at a cheaper cost.

Since going live in May 2002 the Planning Portal has had just one site redesign and remained on the same technical platform, despite significant changes to the content and audience and advances in web technology.
In this time the Planning Portal has seen use of its service grow to help over 330,000 unique users and deliver around 20,000 planning applications every month.

The new platform for the Planning Portal significantly cuts the cost of maintaining the site, as well as increasing the revenue that the Portal can generate and reducing the burden on the public purse.

We will be in touch a few days before the switch-over to confirm final details.

Regards
Adam

Adam Telford
Head of Marketing & Communications
Planning Portal

And about time too:cool:

Sponsored Links
More waste of money.

I sent an application though their online submission system and also attached the documents (site / location plan) to the application.

Had to resend the documents by post over a week later because, either the system doesn't work properly or the staff are technically incompetent. So much for speeding up the process.

They should get rid of it and stick to paper system, at least applicants won't get any false hope about the electronic system working and will save time by sending applications by post.

I have been submitting applications online via the PP since early this year and not once have I had any problems with the documents/drawing attached and then downloading the other end :confused:

I would never now submit an application manually. The time and money which is saved by using the PP is superb. Especially if/when LA's request additional copies for different deparments within the LA. Likewise with clients, I email them the PP zip file, which contains all the documents/drawings and if they would like hard copies, they ask for them, but it's very rare.

But of course this is my opinion :)

The PP must be doing something right in being responsible for submitting more around 20,00 applications a month ;)

Well, I'm glad to hear that the PP works and it isn't a complete waste of time. But it did made me waste my time.

Sponsored Links
Had to resend the documents by post over a week later....

.... at least applicants won't get any false hope about the electronic system working

You did not have to send by post you could have emailed the documents to the council

You get an email receipt as confirmation that the application has been sent to the council, and guidance on what the council does with them and when to expect an acknowledgement of registration. If there is a problem at the council, then they contact you within a few days

you could have emailed the documents to the council

Yes they could have. However, after the first failed attempt in submitting the drawings via the PP, I think they gave up with doing things electronically so reverted back to the old fashioned way :p

you could have emailed the documents to the council

Yes they could have. However, after the first failed attempt in submitting the drawings via the PP, I think they gave up with doing things electronically so reverted back to the old fashioned way :p

I'm very pro technology and would always make use of it, as it saves time. But I think organisations have found ways to make the process just as slow as post.

I did email the documents to them. But a day or so later it was still not attached to my application, because “the emails go to a different department first” Maybe they can add another email address [email protected], But all emails regarding planning are to be sent to [email protected] so obviously it would take time.
By then I had lost faith in them I send documents by post too.

^woody^ - I never got an email receipt. I sent the documents to planning@ You know the council we are talking about.

Maybe they can add another email address [email protected], But all emails regarding planning are to be sent to [email protected] so obviously it would take time.

That would confuse the hell out of matters though. That means... if you were to email building regulation documents, they too would be sent to this "other" email address for somebody to then filter to the relevant department? This is just creating more work, which will create more time and a new job for somebody... where the council are (in current conditions) are getting rid of people :p If you have planning queries or need to submit planning documents/drawings, then email it to the planning department. Likewise with building control, etc...

I never got an email receipt. I sent the documents to planning@

Woody was referring to the "automatic" email receipt you receive once you have successfully submitted an application online via the planning portal. Some LA's also have an automated email sent if/when somebody emails the planning department with their nominal "Your enquiry has been received and will be dealt with...".

Maybe they can add another email address [email protected], But all emails regarding planning are to be sent to [email protected] so obviously it would take time.

That would confuse the hell out of matters though. That means... if you were to email building regulation documents, they too would be sent to this "other" email address for somebody to then filter to the relevant department? This is just creating more work, which will create more time and a new job for somebody... where the council are (in current conditions) are getting rid of people :p If you have planning queries or need to submit planning documents/drawings, then email it to the planning department. Likewise with building control, etc...

I never got an email receipt. I sent the documents to planning@

Woody was referring to the "automatic" email receipt you receive once you have successfully submitted an application online via the planning portal. Some LA's also have an automated email sent if/when somebody emails the planning department with their nominal "Your enquiry has been received and will be dealt with...".

If you need to send something to Steve, should it be sent to [email protected] or [email protected]?

Yeah I got the planning portal receipt, but that’s a bit pointless, if they say they haven’t received the attached documents. Even though, I could access them fine on my end.

If you need to send something to Steve, should it be sent to [email protected] or [email protected]?

You weren't implying that though... were you. That's different! You were talking about sending planning documents to a different email address than the general planning address, which would cause a lot of confusion.

Back on the PP upgrade situation, I have just received this email...

Hi,
Contrary to my previous email the Planning Portal will be available all weekend.
The previously scheduled technical work has been postponed to ensure the smoothest possible transition for our users.
Thanks for your understanding
Adam

Oh here we go. Delaysss :rolleyes:

You weren't implying that though... were you. That's different! You were talking about sending planning documents to a different email address than the general planning address, which would cause a lot of confusion.

But if they are treating general planning enquiries and enquiries about a submitted application differently then it should be dealt by two different email addresses.

A recorded letter by post will probably get processed in 48 hours. If it takes the same time for an email to be processed, then what’s the point?

But if they are treating general planning enquiries and enquiries about a submitted application differently then it should be dealt by two different email addresses.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? If you submit a planning application or have a general planning enquiry, they're dealt with by the planning department and normally the admin team, unless it's more specific where an officer has to get involved. If and when your application has been validated and an officer assigned, then yes... you would direct queries to an officer.

Remember, we were talking about submitting an application after the PP didn't transfer the information correctly, which you experienced.

A recorded letter by post will probably get processed in 48 hours. If it takes the same time for an email to be processed, then what’s the point?

Send an email, sent. Processed soon after. Sending something in the post... takes time to be sent, registered, etc... and not forgetting the time the sender takes to print x number of copies of the documents/drawings, which are to be submitted.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? If you submit a planning application or have a general planning enquiry, they're dealt with by the planning department and normally the admin team, unless it's more specific where an officer has to get involved. If and when your application has been validated and an officer assigned, then yes... you would direct queries to an officer.

Remember, we were talking about submitting an application after the PP didn't transfer the information correctly, which you experienced.

I phoned the general planning enquiry phone number and was told that they don't get the emails directly and that they are passed on to them. So don't know, what their internal system is.

Send an email, sent. Processed soon after. Sending something in the post... takes time to be sent, registered, etc... and not forgetting the time the sender takes to print x number of copies of the documents/drawings, which are to be submitted.

Would be great if the emails were processed soon after. But if it takes 24 hours for someone to read the email and then pass it on to the right department / person, then you have hardly saved any time.

Not to mention if their system is down on that day / week.

By saving time, I don’t mean the hours spent on printing the plans etc. I rather get the application registered asap, because the planning departments do like to site on the application for maximum statuary period allowed (8 weeks I think).

planning departments do like to site on the application for maximum statuary period allowed (8 weeks I think).

Well... they don't sit on it. The first 4-5 weeks are when consulations are sent out to neighbours, LA departments for their comment. The last 3-4 weeks is usually allocated for the planning officer to prepare their report and decision. But yes... 99% of the time, you will get a decision the day before it's due to expire.

Don't we all love the planning process though :LOL:

I just had this one! :rolleyes:

Hi,
Contrary to my previous email the Planning Portal will be available all weekend.
The previously scheduled technical work has been postponed to ensure the smoothest possible transition for our users.
Thanks for your understanding
Adam

Adam Telford
Head of Marketing & Communications
Planning Portal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back