Plant room doors.

Yes I think his description of a fly screen is a bit misleading. It does open outside and we do have field mice and squirrels in the grounds. Without the mesh the mice could certainly get in and, I suspect, squirrels as well.
Will see how the 'discussions' between builder and gas man turn out but I think we will be insisting he replaces it back on the doors.

Sponsored Links
fly screens not allowed if your wanting to stop mice etc entering the the holes need to be no smaller than 5mm no larger than 10mm but remember if your going to cover the slats with a sheet all the holes must add up to the vent requirements.
BUT as transam has said 10mm squares is not a flyscreen

Sponsored Links
Some room sealed boiler installs

that do not require air for combustion still need air vents if installed in compartments for cooling purposes

these would be the older type boilers ( non condensing ?)

different criteria may well apply to commercial plant rooms

And where does the room get this air from then ?

Obviously the air for open-flue appliances comes through assured ventilation openings into the room to replace the air that the appliance has used and disposed of via the flue.

When an appliance takes air from outside the building then the room it is located in does not normally require assured ventilation. As is the case with the vast majority of domestic gas fired boilers.

edit.. typing errors corrected#

Some pictures. The holes in the mesh are measuring 12mm square so clearly vermin proofing rather than fly screen.
The louvres are shown from the outside and inside. I think the length of the mesh will only reach to mid door height anyway but the louvres are full height so it seems he is talking hot air.
Well, in my opinion, he took it off he can come and put it back on. Not even sure how it was fixed on because there are no screw holes or evidence of some form of sticky adhesive. :confused:

IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG

needs to be put back on before you get infested with mice or what ever

imo it should not have been taken off in the 1st place o_O:confused:

and just to add some confusion ( may be?)

open flued boilers in balanced compartments :cool: one rarely comes across this set up ( fortunately)

an open flued boiler working as a balanced flued boiler ( sort of)

Will see how the 'discussions' between builder and gas man turn out but I think we will be insisting he replaces it back on the doors.

How much ventilation have you got with the mesh on and how much does the plant room need?

How much ventilation have you got with the mesh on and how much does the plant room need?

Out of my knowledge base to be honest as to how much it needs but I can tell you we have not had any problems with the boilers since they were commissioned about 18 months-2years ago. There was plenty of fresh air coming through the door even with the mesh on.
Think I forgot to mention there are also several carbon monoxide sensors linked to a central alarm system which are tested each month and so far no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back