Plaster Blown??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had our bedroom walls skimmed but when we went to put on the second coat of paint, noticed we have a thin crack in the new paintwork. A second coat of paint has not helped.
Tapping the wall it does seen to be hollow.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
the best option would to be to scrape it off if its blown and reskimmed, was the background sound before it was skimmed?, if you want a temp fix widen the gap and fill with easyfill then repaint and see how long it lasts but
if i was you i would call the plasterer back, looks like the prepwork wasent done properly what was he skimming over?

Thanks, he was skimming over the previous wall as the surface was rubbish. We had removed all the damaged plaster on the previous layer before this was done.
There is also another area which sounds hollow but has not cracked. Should this come off to?

When the plasterer prepped the wall did he unibond over it then leave it 24 hrs, then coated it with unibond just before he skimmed it? This would of been the correct way to stablise the background and kill the suction. Go over it, gently tapping it and if it sounds hollow in more places get him back and let him take it off and re-do it properly. If he does this make sure there are no cracks on the surface and no "boxy" areas, if so he must tape any cracks and hack off "boxy " areas and fill them out. Just stand by him when he does it and you can check for yourself, the top coat will only be as good as what is underneath it....

Sponsored Links
There is also another area which sounds hollow but has not cracked. Should this come off to?
that part of the wall may have sounded hollow before it was skimmed, you could take it off only to find that it still sounds hollow underneath as roy says the top coat is only as good as the coat behind it, but then he may not have prepped the wall properley in which case the new skim has blown where it has not adhered, call him back, the investigation should start at the crack, i would chip some of that away to see how well its stuck

We had removed all the damaged plaster on the previous layer before this was done.
There is also another area which sounds hollow but has not cracked.

Just to check an obvious point first - the plaster below, is it an undercoat plaster throughout?
You've not got any plasterboard dry-lined areas for example?
These would sound hollow in most places and solid where the dabs are.
Forgive me if the question is obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back