Plaster boarding, dab V batterns - what's the best method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Plan to get the walls plasterboarded in due coarse, what are the pros and cons of 'dab' fixing plasterbard as opposed to fixing to batterns on the wall please?
Walls are cavity and in pretty good condition. Would there be any one suggesting even to plaster onto the walls directly so avoid plasterboard in the first place, should I be considering this at all?
thanks, great forums on this site.
KS

Sponsored Links
Are we talking bare blocks/bricks here or is the original plaster mostly intact?

if there is no damp dot and dab is quicker probable take up a mill more than float and skim, drys quicker and cheaper.

Hi,
thanks for quick responses, this is certainly the best site for diy forums!
Yes walls are cavity and block work, it's part of my garage conversion job.
thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
If you’re going the plaster route, it’s got to be base coat or render with skim finish but, as jb says, dry lining is quicker & cheaper. If you’ve gone to the trouble of putting up an inner block wall to insulate & keep out the damp, I would tend to go for base & skim finish; it’s a proper job!

unless your skilled in float and skim i wouldnt go down this route unless your gettin someone in but you will be lucky to find a plasterer with the art to float and skim, also the drying time and decoration (forget wallpaper)is a main factor.

unless your skilled in float and skim i wouldnt go down this route unless your gettin someone in but you will be lucky to find a plasterer with the art to float and skim, also the drying time and decoration (forget wallpaper)is a main factor.
Dot & dab then ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back