Plasterboard showing through skim!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had an old fire place opening boarded up and skimmed by a local handyman. I have just noticed that on one corner of the skimmed area the plasterboard beneath does not appear to have been set back far enough and is just slightly showing through the skim.

I can't afford to re-skim the chimney breast so is there any kind of quick fix anybody could recommend? If I add more skim it will turn into a bump?!

The only thing I could think to do was to try and cut into/sand down the area of board showing and then use filler or something to smooth it off again?

Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you can feel it? The white bits probably won't show when painted.

You may need to sand down a small area and fill before painting.

Hi

We have just had an old fire place opening boarded up and skimmed by a local handyman. I have just noticed that on one corner of the skimmed area the plasterboard beneath does not appear to have been set back far enough and is just slightly showing through the skim.

I can't afford to re-skim the chimney breast so is there any kind of quick fix anybody could recommend? If I add more skim it will turn into a bump?!

The only thing I could think to do was to try and cut into/sand down the area of board showing and then use filler or something to smooth it off again?

Appreciate any help.

its a simple fix cut the board back with a sharp blade then cover with easifill

Thanks for the advice. My only worry with sanding it down is that it will 'fluff up the edge of the paper?

I'll give cutting it out a go!

Sponsored Links
Is it actually a bump? If so and it can bee seen then perhaps you need to cut it out and make it flat, rather than just smooth it off? 🔨🔨👍😬🐖👂

Yes it is slightly raised along the edge of the board, thats why I don't want to just fill over it. I think cutting will be best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back